Raynomom

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2019
572045F8-4F79-429D-AA69-D51DCEDE9032.jpeg
18D43957-F545-4746-BBD6-C6AF815B1F51.jpeg
6EB522C3-96B0-4192-8FC8-FBDF321CC192.jpeg
0E4D43F0-686C-4842-B54D-5C1E798506DC.jpeg
Hi! My baby girl Billie Jo is having some tough times right now. She is molting, HARD. She is getting picked on. Her back is very much so raw and bloody. We
don’t have any roosters! This afternoon when I went out to let her out she was very lethargic, seemed as tho she was very cold, and she seemed very uninterested in the grass, bugs, or even being near any of the others. She seemed as tho she was trying to hide. When it was time to go to bed she wouldn’t go. She stayed out of the coop and wouldn’t follow her friends. This isn’t like her. I removed her from the flock because of the wounds on her back and the way she was acting. I put her in a dog crate with food & water. Is it just molting or is there something else that could be going on. Will someone help me? Did I do the right thing or should I put her back with her friends?

Hey, :hugs we are having crazy weather today! That alone takes it outa a hen. The extra energy keeping warm takes, then trying to regrow feathers? Whew!
I see white specks that look like bugs. Is she being eaten alive?
As for the picking, buy Blu-Kote at Tractor Supply in the morning. It’s going to dye your hands blue, but the pump isn’t too bad.

Separating her outside right now isn’t great. She needs the others to snuggle with. Otherwise, a few days might be good for her. Being bullied when she returns alone can happen, so adding a friend to the crate will help with heat and not being bullied when she’s let go in a few days.

They could have something going on in addition to the molting, but it's my understanding that molting can be a very miserable time for your bird; some will experience these symptoms that you're describing without anything else being 'wrong' with them. To help them regrow their feathers faster, you can increase their protein intake by offering high protein treats instead of fruits/vegetables for awhile. Things like hamburger, canned fish, crushed dry cat food (or thoroughly moistened until soggy dry cat food), canned cat food are high on the list of easily obtained, reasonably priced treats that will help boost their protein & amino acids that are good for feather growth. Rice and peas are also good for amino acids, but reduce their overall protein intake, so if you opt for these, limit portions.

Back
Top Bottom