help!!

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
ok so i have 3 adult male ducks (i had to rehome my others due to fighting) and i also have two ducklings. one is very obviously a girl, and i’m pretty sure the other is a boy. so i was wondering what i do? can i keep them all or do i have to rehome the girl? i want to try to get them all to live together once the babies are fully grown, but if not i want to keep the ducklings in a separate area. i cant get anymore ducks sadly, so i was wondering if a pair would work or if it would be too hard on the female?

A pair MIGHT be okay, but you'd have to see if the male is going to be too rough on the female. I successfully keep some ducks in pairs, but some drakes are just too hard on the hens for that. If that ends up happening, you would need to rehome her, or get more females.

You definitely cannot have them all living together four males to one female - that absolutely won't work out. So you'd need to try keeping three drakes together and the pair together, see if the pair works out, and if not, you'll need to rehome the female, or rehome three males and replace them with three more girls.

A pair MIGHT be okay, but you'd have to see if the male is going to be too rough on the female. I successfully keep some ducks in pairs, but some drakes are just too hard on the hens for that. If that ends up happening, you would need to rehome her, or get more females.

You definitely cannot have them all living together four males to one female - that absolutely won't work out. So you'd need to try keeping three drakes together and the pair together, see if the pair works out, and if not, you'll need to rehome the female, or rehome three males and replace them with three more girls.
the three adult males are completely fine with each other, and grew up together. so they cuddle and swim together all day. so far the big ducks ignore the babies, but i’m worried about what will happen when the girl is fully grown

the three adult males are completely fine with each other, and grew up together. so they cuddle and swim together all day. so far the big ducks ignore the babies, but i’m worried about what will happen when the girl is fully grown

Yes, that would be the issue, and it's why you can't put them all together. They will ALL try to mate with her, and that would be very bad for her. She'll be overmated and hurt.

I had three males one female at the start of spring. I walked out to the pen and saw that all three males were on top of her. After a long period I was able to chase them off her and then Idumped out the pool and had to rehome two drakes. Even with two drakes and two females it’s a bit hairy still but I am hoping it will calm down once I split them all up.

ok so i have 3 adult male ducks (i had to rehome my others due to fighting) and i also have two ducklings. one is very obviously a girl, and i’m pretty sure the other is a boy. so i was wondering what i do? can i keep them all or do i have to rehome the girl? i want to try to get them all to live together once the babies are fully grown, but if not i want to keep the ducklings in a separate area. i cant get anymore ducks sadly, so i was wondering if a pair would work or if it would be too hard on the female?

I agree with @Pyxis , Pairs sometimes work, it depends on each drakes personality/breed and your set up, IMO bantam breeds seem to work better in pairs then larger breeds such as Pekin/Rouen. You'll definitely have to re-home a few of the males or buy more females.

Right now I've got 1 drake with 6 girls. Last year with the same 7 I had to put the drake in "jail" because all the girl's necks were a mess. After a week of watching him pace up and down the fence line I felt so sorry for him that I ended up putting his favorite girlfriend in with him and it worked! He was not hard on her at all and he wasn't lonely so it just depends on each duck's personality I think.

Back
Top Bottom