Help!

coltsrox

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Maggie Valley, NC
I know many of you now know I have 2 new baby chicks being raised in a mansion and owners never having raised them before. Well I have several questiions.....
1. Our little girl( we assume because of longer wings) has a red sore spot around her wing area. Whats wrong?

2. The "little girl(pullet)" also had diahrea the first 2days and i believe still has some but none is red. What's wrong? help!

3. Someone on this board said I need to get another "little girl" cause of the (we assume) rooster will sexually and physically beat up on her. this is true?

4. If we handle them more, will they be more "people chicks"?

5. Will we eventually have to have their wings clipped? if so does the vet do it or me?

1. Could she have been picked on by other chicks back before you got her, or is it a recent thing?

2. Young chicks frequently have diarrhea, but if there is no other symptoms I wouldn't worry.

3. I am not sure I understand, you have one girl and one boy chick?

4. Yes, the more you handle the tamer it will be.

5. They can't fly, but if you are worried about them getting over a fence you can trim their flight feathers. They will grow back in a couple of months, but you can do the procedure, its like a haircut.

Quote:
wow! thanx so much! you have been sooooo helpful!
1. About her past we know nothing and on the first day we noticed it.I have only had her for 3days now.sorry...

2. Thank you so much! I do think it's temporary cause the girl had it now the boy has it.
3. Yes we have one boy and one girl,what do we do?

4.Alright thanx so much cause they kinda run from us in the box but we handle them ALOT.
5. Alright thanx I had heard they needed to have their wings clipped, again THANX SO MUCH!

Hold them now, and in a couple of weeks start with the treats, they are all friendly when you offer them treats.
pop.gif

If you're at all unsure how to trim their flight feathers, ask a vet to show you how. I had a cockatiel once that the owner before me had trimmed his wing tips right thru the bone. He was crippled and never could fly and was traumatized so badly from the experience that he never really did trust humans after that.

Quote:
interesting we let out bratty neice touch our girl and she smacked her and now she is so scittish and not as trusting as the rooster. do u think she's retarded?

Quote:
Yes, your bratty niece is retarded...
rant.gif

The chick, however, now associates "hands" with pain. It will take awhile to regain her trust again. Just be patient and keep the bratty niece away, offer treats when they get older and she'll probably come around.
smile.png

yes she is retarded but even more important i was concerned about our little chick, she acts so scittish i was scared she was retarded, but ya think just show her extra love and gentleness and she'll come around? another thing when can i take them outside? and do i need a another girl chick cuase the boy chick will beat up on her?

Back
Top Bottom