help!!

denardo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
i cant tell if my chicken is brooding,or sick.she sits in the corner all dayy,all fluffed up,and gets very agitated if you come close.she sometimes is on an egg, but wont have anything to do with other chickens.not eating much,as far as i can tell.her comb looks darker this morning.what can i do?

what kind of chicken is she? and age?

Remove her from the nest box and place her outside. If she keeps going back to the egg, keep moving her off. That behaviour would indicate she is broody. Take the eggs out of the nest frequently as well.

If she is not sitting on an egg, and is just all fluffed up in a corner then she is probably sick.

She sounds broody. If there is no collection of poop in the corner where she sits, then you know she's been getting up regularly to go poop. Give her a couple fertile eggs to hatch.

she is a new hampshire red about 5 months old.she stays out for a while, challenging any chicken or roo that comes close. fluffs up n flaps her wings with a distress call,she lets me carry her and eventually goes back to her corner,and huddles back down.thanks so much for your help,as this is my first experience with chickens.

thanks,all.yes she is broody.i caught her gathering eggs this morning to lay on.we will see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom