Help

Quailraiser22

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
North east oklahoma
I bought my quail and put them in the wire cage i built i have 2 males and 10 hens and some quail are eating feed like crazy and feed is flying everywhere. and some of them are sitting in the feeder flying feed all over their feathers. also they have a bare spot on their backs someone told me this is from breeding is it true?

Alright im having some trouble. i bought them 20% protein feed chicken starter/grower but it also said for quail. i read on here that if they arent getting enough protein they will peck.also do i have to buy them grit or sand? all im giving them now is feed and water

I bought my quail and put them in the wire cage i built i have 2 males and 10 hens and some quail are eating feed like crazy and feed is flying everywhere. and some of them are sitting in the feeder flying feed all over their feathers. also they have a bare spot on their backs someone told me this is from breeding is it true?
Your feed flying every where is due to the wrong feeder. What your birds are doing is "dust bathing" in your feeder! I use these....

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/covered_plastic_feeder.html

These are great for small numbers of birds too.

http://www.amazon.com/Miller-Manufacturing-9808-6-Inch-Poultry/dp/B000HHNYOK

Think about putting a small tupperware about 1/2 full of sand. The birds will go crazy and love ya for it.

Yes, the bare spots are from being mounted, sometimes lesser males are mounted in the same manner.

Last edited:
Alright im having some trouble. i bought them 20% protein feed chicken starter/grower but it also said for quail. i read on here that if they arent getting enough protein they will peck.also do i have to buy them grit or sand? all im giving them now is feed and water
what species of quail are they?
i use kitty litter pans for my Coturnix . The majority of feed stays i the pan and they bathe in it without any real loss of feed in the process
Quail NEED 26-30% protein to their feed.They also should NOT be fed anything that's medicated as quail are sensitive to it.
Feed a UNmedicated GAMEBIRD STARTER crumble .As well as crushed oyster shell for calcium. They need this to keep their bones strong and for healthy eggshell production.
If you can't find Gamebird starter ,UNmedicated turkey starter feed and chopped kale and brocoli added DAILY should suffice.Kale and Brocoli are both 45% protein

Back
Top Bottom