HELP!

No they didn't. They never actually said it was an infection. Just that there was bacteria.

Though I would assume if his mouth and throat are inflamed that there was an infection there. Just not respiratory.

Last edited:
Call back and ask, I'm curious. Also curious as to what antibiotics they gave you. :D

-Kathy

Okay I called them and they said they didn't do a stain on it so they don't know. They said it could be either one with the type of bacteria it was. Hyper something.

But they would have to have done a culture to know for sure. Which they didn't.

And he's on Clavamox and Metacam.

Call back and ask, I'm curious. Also curious as to what antibiotics they gave you. :D

-Kathy

Okay I called them and they said they didn't do a stain on it so they don't know. They said it could be either one with the type of bacteria it was. Hyper something.

But they would have to have done a culture to know for sure. Which they didn't.

And he's on Clavamox and Metacam.

Well the Clavamox will treat most bacteria, it's a very good one to try. :D

-Kathy

Last edited:
No they didn't. They never actually said it was an infection. Just that there was bacteria.

Though I would assume if his mouth and throat are inflamed that there was an infection there. Just not respiratory.

My vet said that throat infections are common in birds.

-Kathy

Hi everyone, I have hens that were recently put on Clavamox because of respiratory infection. Yesterday I started researching how long you have to wait to consume the eggs and found info that said once a hen is giving Clavamox you can NEVER eat their eggs! I was *never* told this ahead of time by my avian vet. I talked with her last night on the phone and forced the issue about the edibility of the eggs and she said legally all eggs need to be destroyed from here on out. I'm furious that she never gave me this information before dispensing the Clavamox.

As a sidenote, both times I was given Clavamox, there were other backyard hen owners that were walking out with Clavamox, so this must be a very common medication. I don't understand why a vet would continue to treat backyard hens with this if none of us can ever eat the eggs.

Does anyone out there have more information about this? Were you ever told by your vet that you couldn't ever eat the eggs?

My vet made me sign a waiver saying I'd never eat the eggs or meat, but off the record said it was that they themselves wait one month.

-Kathy

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom