HELP!

Yay! I have been following this thread and am so glad she is doing better.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
This is one of the best, most supportive chat's I've ever seen on BYC!! KUDO'S Kathy and 21Hens for the awesome response & support.
I have never culled one of my chicks but I have had the awful dilemma of watching and waiting.....waiting.....waiting
And doing the HAPPY dance when one survives an thrives!!
Hang in there, famfarm

blah...blah...blah...all that just to say.........thanks for making my (chicken) day!

~Lisa

When moving her back in remember they may not be so willing to invite her back. Be ready to break up any fights that break out.
You may need to do a slow reintroduction by placing her in basically a small tractor coop next to the regular coop so they get used to her again.

I am glad she healed up.

She is doing great, although she now prefers human company to her feathered friends:D she will come in the garage and just wait for us to come out :) thank you all for the support

Familyfarm1

One chicken I had to sew up her neck of about 2.5 inches ziz zag. The other one I had that was attacked was torn up on its back. Today the are both completely healed. It is a scary but they survive it the attack is not fatal. We feel so bad for them. Our are realizing our roosters are their friends along with our guineas.

I used a regular sanitized needle and strong thread. I went back after it was healed and took it out. The feathers are ruffled on her neck like there is a scar, but even in our 4 feet of snow she is strong and kicking. I don't believe she is at the low end of the pecking order. She is laying and a strong female. The hawk tore her skin open but none of her vital neck areas were harmed. She most defiantly would have died with the gap that was open. Think of it like needing to be stitched up at the hospital. I have 2 boys at the ages of 9-10. We have been back and forth to the ER needing stitches because they play hard sometimes or have accidents. I have watched over and over again on how to stitch up. However, the chicken didn't get as nice of stitching. It was about saving her life.

After I stitched her up I immediately put her in the top of one of our coops where it is dark and cozy. She came out within an half a day to a day. No one picked on her. Yes, she was hurt but "bandaged" up. She ate and drank with in that one day and was never taken completely away from the flock. She was only taken away when I was sewing her and she was put back in a normal clean place where she was familiar with as well with as all the other chickens. I have about 30 chickens, and 15 guineas.

Back
Top Bottom