I hate gutters, luckily this house has large roof overhangs and excellent grading...
....so no gutters to clean or repair after ice season.

Yep.....
..... or put the 'gap closer' on the inside of coop, will also act as a door stop.
@mapurcel Seeing the door open and the latch you want to use could garner more possible solutions.
I hate gutters, luckily this house has large roof overhangs and excellent grading...
....so no gutters to clean or repair after ice season.

Yep.....
..... or put the 'gap closer' on the inside of coop, will also act as a door stop.
@mapurcel Seeing the door open and the latch you want to use could garner more possible solutions.

AH putting the trim inside is so simple! *facepalm*
Well I may do that since I want whatever lock to be flush with the door to ensure a tight close. I’ll still include stills of me opening the door.

I have had gutters only on the north side of the house. I put them back up three times before I decided to just leave them off. The snow builds up quite deep, and then when it warms up, the avalanch lets go all at once..
that is what tears the gutters off. I have a good 24" overhang , so I don't feel the need for gutters back there.
the ground is pitched pretty good away from the house for about 10 feet.
I have been up since 4AM, I feel a nap coming on.
....jiminwaUSAu........

Boots, I just mentioned to Annie that I hoped you two were OK. With you being close to the shore, most of the fires must be to the east of you ??
Don't hesitate to run..
Thanks for the concern, the fires are far from us though. Other than the small one some idiot started in the campground near us. It was put out before it burned more than an acre. That said, we did have that discussion. DP wanted to say she'd stay and I would go and I said nuts to that. Our siding is fire resistant and the roof is metal so to get this place we'd have to be in the direct path but we'll run if need be.

I posted this video on another thread but i had to let you guys see it. This is Glyness, she's one of my easter eggers and boss bird. She started laying first and does so just about every day. She might wait till 4 pm to do it and she sings for 30 minutes before and after and sits in her nest for an hour before actually laying said egg but she's a hoot and a half and I love her dearly. This is what she does if another girl gets too close when she is working on her daily egg.
She doesn't fuss if I reach under her, this is just for other birds. At least so far anyway. Her sister does something similar.

Unfortunately, the picnic fly that gives shade to the coop in the midday heat is not large enough to keep any significant part of the pen dry. Therefore the chickens are hiding inside in this downpour.

They're so crowded in there (I need to sell 2 or 3 of them once I'm confident that they're all pullets). Poor things. :(

More and more I like the idea of converting a carport to a run/open air coop.

Unfortunately, the picnic fly that gives shade to the coop in the midday heat is not large enough to keep any significant part of the pen dry. Therefore the chickens are hiding inside in this downpour.

They're so crowded in there (I need to sell 2 or 3 of them once I'm confident that they're all pullets). Poor things. :(

More and more I like the idea of converting a carport to a run/open air coop.
I have cattle panel hoop coops

I have cattle panel hoop coops

I talked to DH about that -- pointing out that they involved minimal construction and so could be put up quickly -- as soon as we knew for sure where the house will be placed. He thinks it would be just as easy to build a post and beam structure.

He's experienced and confident with carpentry and, like all the members of his family, addicted to over-engineering.

Not that I can say anything about the over-engineering when my own father figured that anything that wasn't built to last a minimum of 50 years was a temporary make-do and probably not worth bothering with. ;) 🤣

today we went out for breakfast.
That's it. Our 57th wedding anniversary is taken care of.
after we got home I dropped off the spring tooth harrow and mounted the rear blade onto Ollie. I made about 5 passes over the driveway and it looks fairly nice.
Glad you gals are out of harms way .
NOBODY stays behind..
Tomorrow my youngest sister turns 80.
One of her daughters asked her what she wants for her birthday. She said, Oh, just a card.. So my niece put out the word to everybody. Send a card. I think DS is going to get her wish,,,and then some. :lau.

Back
Top Bottom