Tell us how you really feel :D Hmmm... have some progeny dwelling in your own abode maybe?

True of many, I'm sure, but not all as evinced by CF's post:

No, I don't have any kids, never did. It just bites my butt how some of these kids take advantage of parents. I worked at a University for 14 years dealing with these kids in a disciplinary setting and worked 25 years at a County Prosecutor's agency dealing with more knuckleheads.

I know there are good, level-headed young folks out there, but most of what I've seen has been the negative aspect, everything handed to them on a silver platter.

This has nothing to do with chickens, but I have a resentment for young folks who think they can slide into success without lifting a finger. I wasn't brought up that way. Earn your keep and achieve those goals.

A lot of these parents would be enjoying their retirements more if they didn't had to support.....

Tell us how you really feel :D Hmmm... have some progeny dwelling in your own abode maybe?

True of many, I'm sure, but not all as evinced by CF's post:
Both of my kids have houses, and one has 4 kids! He works 2 jobs. Poor guy is always tired.

Something to think about on a next coop or if you are just starting. I found out too late Menards (big home improvement store) has a free design service. The will take your ideas, rough plans and turn them into a real plan including a materials list. I will do that for the garden shed I need to build. I would have jumped on it if I would have known. I didn't find a plan that would fit my yard and weather so did my own.

Thank you, CapricornFarm...

I don't consider my self rebellious...I just like stuff being thrown at me and make something. Kinda reminds me of woodshop back in the 60's. Use your imagination, working from the ground up, and see what works best for you. You don't need some plans that you've paid hundreds of dollars for. For me, it's simply looking at a project...the beginning and final goal, then looking at the intermediate steps in between (damn, I sound like a piano teacher). Maybe relax and have a glass of wine and look at your project. All those little details will come to you.

I don't know what advice to give you, but I'm running hardware cloth EVERYWHERE to keep my babies safe, but as far as the outside, exposed area for gardening, that's another bridge further down the road. This is just my 16 x 16 foot chicken run hidden below my 5 foot concrete wall. I am allowed to have a (reasonable) amount of poultry.
An HOA that allows any poultry I haven't ever seen. I just moved to AZ from CA and there, there is almost no place I looked at with an HOA that would let you have any "livestock or poultry". No rules against having 9 parrots, though!

Aw, i have got to try to fix it. It lets in so much light and looks really awesome.
I agree, concrete is awesome for floors for chicken coops. Sounds like you have it down pat. But i am 60 and am not going to invest in a concrete mixer at this point. We are way out in the woods, don't know if a concrete truck would be able to get where i want my next building. We wanted a concrete pad for our garage and the quotes we got to have it done were so high you should have had a full basement for that price. Crazy.
I really liked concrete in my old coop. Dogs were digging under and getting chickens. Rocks, wire, the big dogs could get in again! Concrete mixer rented at Home Depot, not pretty, but no dogs! I was younger then, I think I would like to hire younger arms, but I can still lift a sack of cement. I am pushing 60, it is not as easy as it used to be to do stuff! But in my next coop I am starting with cement floor and skipping losing chickens.

An HOA that allows any poultry I haven't ever seen. I just moved to AZ from CA and there, there is almost no place I looked at with an HOA that would let you have any "livestock or poultry". No rules against having 9 parrots, though!

Crazy but I guess parrots are considered pets though they can be awfully loud. Even my little Quaker is noisy. I wouldn't even look at a house with an HOA when I was looking. Didn't want to deal with the politics.

Back
Top Bottom