Yeah, when he had blood dripping out of his mouth and nose i figured he was as good as dead. Husband said give him some time and see how he does. So he went under the porch for a while and then under the shed. Would not take food or water. Then he came out and i got him and took him in the house. He drank and after a while started eating. He was walking kind of hunched up, but has been walking more and now gets around better. Even wags his tail some. So glad he survived!
He is 14 years old and i felt it might be kinder to put him down but he is a fighter!

well, after over a week without internet connection, I am back on line.

If you are going to make a raised coop. make it high enough to fit a wheelbarrow under the door so you can rake the droppings directly into the wheelbarrow.

I finally got the last of my slab finished.
now I can go ahead with the framing of the
new shed. It should be wide enough to fit my tractor into it if I back it in. the front might stick out a bit, but at least it should keep the snow off of the seat and most of the motor hood.

......jiminwisc.....

well, after over a week without internet connection, I am back on line.

If you are going to make a raised coop. make it high enough to fit a wheelbarrow under the door so you can rake the droppings directly into the wheelbarrow.

I finally got the last of my slab finished.
now I can go ahead with the framing of the
new shed. It should be wide enough to fit my tractor into it if I back it in. the front might stick out a bit, but at least it should keep the snow off of the seat and most of the motor hood.

......jiminwisc.....
Go Jim!

I am currently building my biggest coop ever and thought about how many newbies are trying to build their first coop ever. Thinking of all you struggling to learn the use of tools and with questions on your mind about planning, i thought it would be helpful to share what i have learned and let others do the same. Even small tips can ease frustration in the building process. If you just want to share pictures of your progress, have at it. Let's share and encourage each other.
The usual back yard chicken rules apply. Please play nice, no need to be rude. Everyone has to learn sometime . Welcome to my coop building thread.
Building the coop will be the most / hardest stage of becoming a chicken lover parent. Been there too. This past spring. It took a month because of weather and working. Moving on, we also used wood square pallets for majority of coop. So basically it is made 80+ % recycled material. That made it harder but we saved hundreds in cost. We have no regrets of design. Whewww. Think about your maintenance and access. I.E.: I can walk in the run. That's good because I don't have to crawl to clean. Venting is crucial. We also built 5 doors to access inside the coop. 3 doors and 2 lifts for egg collecting which are bumped out. Also, know all your predators. We have 2 step locks for doors. I use a rake to reach areas for quick cleans. We placed river rocks around entire base to add for protection and outside digging. Also have a garden for quick treat access. The rocks also created a cricket farm. That was a bonus.

I have helpers here while the storm blows in FL. We got a lot of flowers planted today. And everyone loves feeding the animals. Built the compost bin, 3/4 of it anyway. Picked up sticks, built a fire and cooked hot dogs and marshmallows. Those grandkids are having a good time. 20170910_130633.jpg

My wife swapped some bee hives for a stainless steel automatic coop door. Installed it today and it fits like a glove. Rolled down with a barely audible hum right at our set time of 8:15. It will run off electric or battery. Not sure if we trust it yet, but the guy we swapped with has had one for a couple years with no failures and loves it. I installed a covered dust resistant electrical box since the photo to protect the chickies. Anyone else have experience with one of these doors?
Auto door.GardenTillers44.jpg
Auto door 2.GardenTillers44.jpg

has had one for a couple years with no failures and loves it.
I don't have one, but I believe they are very reliable. If they weren't, retailers wouldn't keep selling them, we "chicken people" wouldn't stand for having our "babies" locked in or out if it malfunctioned. :D
The mechanism is very simple and a basic timer is also simple. I've had my lights come on and off with a timer for years. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, if i needed it.

I don't have one, but I believe they are very reliable. If they weren't, retailers wouldn't keep selling them, we "chicken people" wouldn't stand for having our "babies" locked in or out if it malfunctioned. :D
The mechanism is very simple and a basic timer is also simple. I've had my lights come on and off with a timer for years. I wouldn't hesitate to get one, if i needed it.

We have the need to be away from home overnight on occasion, so we are hoping this door solves a problem.

We have the need to be away from home overnight on occasion, so we are hoping this door solves a problem.
Yes, I think it would. I think the only issue is to set it so that everyone is inside before it shuts at night and once the girls get used to it, they are pretty much trouble-free. It would also be nice to have it when it's rainy or cold so you don't have to go out to the coop to shut the girls in for the night.

I don't have one, but I believe they are very reliable. If they weren't, retailers wouldn't keep selling them,
Riiiight(heavily facetious sarcasm) like the tiny chicken coops that they don't sell anymore. ;)

Probably like any product there are good ones and bad ones, I've read many stories about both, customer service is key.
What brand door is this @GardenTillers44?

Back
Top Bottom