Yes, waste can build up ammonia which can be bad for us and the birds. It does not pay to seal up every crack and crevice as long as predators can not reach in to grab your birds. I plan to have a vent high on two walls, plus two windows, and a walk in door and pop holes for the chickens.
I was thinking about windows with soffit and peak vents. I've never built a coop but from what I understand ventilation is a balance. Too much ventilation can be drafty on the birds and too little keeps moisture in. I live in NE PA and it can get pretty cold here (snaps near and even below zero F without windchill) but if you lock stuff up too tight you get moisture inside the coop and it will lead to frostbite. So just as important is having roosts that are large enough for the birds to be able to roost while covering their feet completely. That is what I have read. Would you agree?

I was thinking about windows with soffit and peak vents. I've never built a coop but from what I understand ventilation is a balance. Too much ventilation can be drafty on the birds and too little keeps moisture in. I live in NE PA and it can get pretty cold here (snaps near and even below zero F without windchill) but if you lock stuff up too tight you get moisture inside the coop and it will lead to frostbite. So just as important is having roosts that are large enough for the birds to be able to roost while covering their feet completely. That is what I have read. Would you agree?
Yes, perch size is important but i think not as important as getting rid of ammonia.

I got bored this evening and went out to try to cut up a pallet to use for making signs. I decided i hate this reciprocating saw! It is better for me to just cut the boards off using a circular saw unless i need a full length board.
And i made a couple of cross braces for the cat scratch tower and painted them. Hopefully they do the job, if not then more are in order.

Back
Top Bottom