I will tutor you with everything I know.
As I might have mentioned, this is my first attempt with these.
My DD swears by them.
I am going to wait and see..

a lot of people do it on youtube. so there must be some merit in it.
....jiminwisc....

I have plastic storage bin wicking beds.

This was a couple weeks ago. They're twice this size now and flowering.

1592599839629.png

here are the 10 Roma tomatoes in their wicking watering containers.
I took pictures of the components I used to put these together if anybody is enterested.
there is a bucket inside of a bucket.
that piece of 1'' thin wall pvc is where I put the water to fill the reservoir at the bottom.
I have never tried this before. I hope they work.
View attachment 2202510
Pics of the components would be great Jim!

I will do my best.
Do those totes have drain tile/pipes in the bottom ? I am going to try that method with some sugar snap peas in smaller containers..

this is the inside bucket which will be filled with potting mix.
the large hole is 3" diameter. the smaller drain holes are 1/2" . the filler tube is 1" thin wall pvc. the hole it fits (very snugly) into is 1 1/4".
we use hole saws for cutting the two large holes.
the wicking pot fits perfectly into the 3" hole.
the pvc filler tube is cut at an angle and I had to twist and turn it to get it into the hole, but it is a nice snug fit when done.

20200618_084632[1].jpg

the 3" wicking cup and a piece of landscaping cloth.
we put the landscaping cloth inside the wicking cup to prevent the wicking material from washing out of the cup. the cup will always be submerged in water.
we pack the potting soil into the cup quite firmly.
then we insert the "holy" bucket inside of the reservoir bucket and put the wicking cup into the hole. take a scoop of potting mix and pat it down so it makes good contact with the soil in the wicking cup.

20200618_084310[1].jpg

this is the overflow hole in the reservoir bucket.
It is drilled about 1/2" below the bottom of the "holy" bucket inside.
It creates an air space between the bottom of the "holy" bucket and the top of the water level. whick allows excess water to drip out of the "holy" bucket ..
I made the drain hole 1/2" because that is the size I had in the drill already.
you could make the drain hole larger, but keep in mind,,,the bottom of the hole is the dimension you want to maintain from the bottom of the "holy" bucket.
20200618_101553[1].jpg

for best results, the buckets should be identical.
and the drain hole might vary according to the type of buckets use.
It seems like a lot of work, but once it is finished, the buckets will last for years.
maybe painting the buckets will prevent them from the sun's rays to make them last longer ?
I would like an opinion on that..
....jiminwisc....

Back
Top Bottom