You have mentioned ventilation twice, that we need more than you think. We bought one of those shed kits from lowes and built and 8x8 with 6' walls. We put in two 8"x16" air vents. The chickens will be out in a large yard during the day, but during the winter while there is snow on the ground I anticipate they won't want to come out that much. Do we have enough ventilation?

Welcome to BYC.

You need 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen, which is best located above the chickens heads while they're sitting on the roost. Twice 8x16 is 256 square inches which is 1.78 square feet -- enough for 1.78 hens. I suspect that you have more chickens than that. :D

Soffit and ridge or gable venting is very popular, but snow easily blocks ridge vents. Top hinged windows are great because they protect the opening from rain and can be opened different amounts depending on the wind.

I suggest that you post a thread asking for help ventilating your coop with plenty of photos and measurements and information about how many chickens you have.

I suggest that you post a thread asking for help ventilating your coop with plenty of photos and measurements and information about how many chickens you have.
@katsmeow112, where do you live? Your climate makes a big difference in the advice you will get. While all coops need the aforementioned 1 sf/chicken venting, there are different ways to get to that point. What works well in Florida probably won't work in Michigan.

And, welcome to BYC!

@katsmeow112, where do you live? Your climate makes a big difference in the advice you will get. While all coops need the aforementioned 1 sf/chicken venting, there are different ways to get to that point. What works well in Florida probably won't work in Michigan.

And, welcome to BYC!
We live in eastern Washington state. We typically have snow at some point between November and March. Last year we had about 10 inches that lasted a few weeks and then slowly melted, and would get a dusting here an there. Our coop/shed it 8' wide 8' long and 6' tall walls. I have 9 chickens. Our building skills are not great, so there are some places that aren't sealed perfectly but are small enough to keep anything from getting in.

You have mentioned ventilation twice, that we need more than you think. We bought one of those shed kits from lowes and built and 8x8 with 6' walls. We put in two 8"x16" air vents. The chickens will be out in a large yard during the day, but during the winter while there is snow on the ground I anticipate they won't want to come out that much. Do we have enough ventilation?
I think I read one square foot of ventilation per chicken.

9 chickens would require a 3ft x 3ft opening. that seems excessive to me in such a small coop.. ventilation is air exchange. If I was to allow 1ft per bird, I might as well leave the door open in the winter time. my eggs would freeze, or worse, it would be so cold that the chickens wouldn't lay anyhow.
Play it by ear. If you have frost inside the coop, you add some vent holes.
......I won't get into a debate about ventilation. As long as my chickens moved around during the day and the coop stayed dry, I was satisfied.

9 chickens would require a 3ft x 3ft opening. that seems excessive to me in such a small coop.. ventilation is air exchange. If I was to allow 1ft per bird, I might as well leave the door open in the winter time. my eggs would freeze, or worse, it would be so cold that the chickens wouldn't lay anyhow.
Play it by ear. If you have frost inside the coop, you add some vent holes.
......I won't get into a debate about ventilation. As long as my chickens moved around during the day and the coop stayed dry, I was satisfied.
Yes playing it by ear is the best. Everyone has different conditions.
I have the whole south side of the hoop coops open. When I put plastic up over most of it I had worse frost bite problems.

That's one of the problems with a lot of small coops -- they're impossible to ventilate properly for the chickens' optimal health. It's supposed to be the same temperature and humidity inside and out -- just free of drafts. You prevent eggs from freezing by collecting them multiple times during the day not by heating the coop. :)

This is BYC's best on cold weather chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

I don't know how many people know this little trick, but i use it a lot. When you have to interrupt your painting session, just pop your brush into a plastic sandwich bag and wrap it around snugly. I have kept paint brushes fresh for up to two weeks this way. Beats using a lot of water to rinse them out each time.
You can do the same with a paint roller. Keep it on the roller cage, put the whole thing in a supermarket plastic bag, smooth the bag snug around the wet nap, wrap the excess around the handle of the roller cage. Secure with a rubber band. Double bag if necessary as those supermarket bags often have a little hole in the bottom. I like to use a full size trash bag under my paint roller tray. When I quit for the day I turn that bag inside out with the wet paint tray and rolled sealed inside. Invariably, there will be something that needs a touch up after I've moved the furniture back in place.
I don't know how many people know this little trick, but i use it a lot. When you have to interrupt your painting session, just pop your brush into a plastic sandwich bag and wrap it around snugly. I have kept paint brushes fresh for up to two weeks this way. Beats using a lot of water to rinse them out each time.

Use plastic wrap place in fridge same thing but less air.
Keep it in the freezer for long term storage. Leave it in the sun for 5 minutes and you're good to go. It works with oil based paint, stain, and polyurethane as well. I've kept an assortment in my freezer for years. Front door, back door, bathroom door (kids are hard on doors).

Back
Top Bottom