We are new to BYC, but advice for any build is to have plans. If you do not have the skills to make your own or plan them out, you can usually find them for free on the internet. Even if you cannot locate them for free you can usually purchase on Etsy for around $10 and these typically provide a total matrial list and cut lists which save you running to the hardware store every time you realize you need something else. Even though my husband is handy he will purchase plans sometimes just to save time because everything is provided he doesn't have to plan it out and figure out supplies and structure, but can just follow the step by step instructions. We have used them to build raised beds, a greenhouse, a chicken coop and all were super easy to follow even if you have no building experience.

We are new to BYC, but advice for any build is to have plans. If you do not have the skills to make your own or plan them out, you can usually find them for free on the internet. Even if you cannot locate them for free you can usually purchase on Etsy for around $10 and these typically provide a total matrial list and cut lists which save you running to the hardware store every time you realize you need something else. Even though my husband is handy he will purchase plans sometimes just to save time because everything is provided he doesn't have to plan it out and figure out supplies and structure, but can just follow the step by step instructions. We have used them to build raised beds, a greenhouse, a chicken coop and all were super easy to follow even if you have no building experience.

Good advice. Following a plan is definitely easier than just winging it and often avoids expensive mistakes and redos.

But it's necessary to be very careful with chicken coop plans because many of them are not actually well-designed for the needs of chickens. :(

Often they fail to meet the guidelines for space and ventilation.

good tuesday morning.
the day is starting out nicely. I have two responses from my CL ads.
I hope at least one of them shows up.
a few years ago I made a pair of forks out of 4x4's for my tractor
bucket. I very seldom use them. So yesterday I decided to move a very
heavy steel framed work bench. you guessed it. one of the forks snapped off. so today I have to fix the fork before I can move that work bench. just another small job that I didn't need right now.
we have the lean to all cleaned out. when we started, we could not even walk into it. now I can drive the tractor from end to end.
there are tons of wall shelves. and they are all full.

Yesterday i went to Lynchburg for a hearing test, but the doctor was on vacation. So since i drove an hour to get there, i decided to go to the park and look for rocks. I made one wrong turn, and was wandering for hours. No maps posted anywhere. I got directions from 3 people. Only the last one was helpful. I was lost for hours, and went up and down some pretty steep terrain. Pretty darned tired today.

Yesterday i went to Lynchburg for a hearing test, but the doctor was on vacation. So since i drove an hour to get there, i decided to go to the park and look for rocks. I made one wrong turn, and was wandering for hours. No maps posted anywhere. I got directions from 3 people. Only the last one was helpful. I was lost for hours, and went up and down some pretty steep terrain. Pretty darned tired today.
btdt, I would much rather get lost out of town.
which I have also done once or twice. lol
so sad about the goat kids.
I sold a pile of 200 bricks today. they were on a wagon in the way.
I would have given them away if the guy would have asked me.
now I can move the wagon easier.

Today the back of my legs, and the bottom of my feet are so sore! I had 2 naps, and am now wide awake.
I have one stall the goats and calves have been escaping from. I added another board near the door, but the kids can still escape. So i will be working on that some more. Was unable to find the star bit for my impact driver, so i will be buying a pack of them when i go to town for my MD appointment in the afternoon. Hubby has an MD appointment in the morning!
Son and his family are headed out early in the morning to go back to FL. It sure will be quiet around here!

btdt, I would much rather get lost out of town.
which I have also done once or twice. lol
so sad about the goat kids.
I sold a pile of 200 bricks today. they were on a wagon in the way.
I would have given them away if the guy would have asked me.
now I can move the wagon easier.
Good to sell off stuff you don't need.
Hope you are feeling well. I have an afternoon MD appointment today. 6 month follow up.

Cappy, sorry you aren't feeling up to snuff.
I am doing OK. my neck therapy ran out over a week ago.
I still get the head aches on and off during the day. I kind
of control them by doing stretches. I also have tylenol and some
muscle relaxer pills. whenever I take the muscle relaxer
my nose tickles something fierce. I would not be a
very good junkie.
when you get that fence tight enough to hold water,
maybe then it will hold the goats in.
Now my tractor is leaking fluid at the axle. It needs
a seal. that means taking off the fluid filled tire. hundreds
of pounds. I don't think I am up to that challenge.
have to see if someone can come here and do it on site.
I have at least a dozen things on CL for sale or for free.
Not a lot of responses.

Back
Top Bottom