Helping Beat The Summer Heat

Supposed to hit 107-109 here in SC tomorrow. I just purchased something that looked a little like this

Sidewinder 1/4" Flex Mistand

# ORB10198
$ 14.80

From tractor suppy (not exactly the same product and cheaper). O tested them today by inserting the mist end into the tractor and attaching to a hose located in a shady area. I'm hoping in conunction with some frozen water bottles, electrolytes in the drinking water and an Ice pack added to the waterer it will be enough.]

Halve a cabbage head and freeze it after soaking it in water. I'll throw one out into the run and watch the birds go crazy picking at it. The water will help the leaves stick together and makes it last until noon or so.

Supposed to hit 107-109 here in SC tomorrow. I just purchased something that looked a little like this

# ORB10198
$ 14.80

From tractor suppy (not exactly the same product and cheaper). O tested them today by inserting the mist end into the tractor and attaching to a hose located in a shady area. I'm hoping in conunction with some frozen water bottles, electrolytes in the drinking water and an Ice pack added to the waterer it will be enough.]
I am using one of these. today was the second day. It's working well for me and I like it. I threaded it through the hardware cloth in front of the fan about 1 foot off the ground. It sprays out about 2 foot diameter area of mist. It keeps the litter below wet, but not sopping wet. My silkies stand right at the "edge" of the mist. I think it makes a significant difference.

i'm using two misters in the run, but i've been reluctant to use one in the coop. i worry that moisture applied to the litter (i'm using the deep litter method) will encourage bacteria, fungus, and other disease issues.
the coop is so darn hot though, especially at night. with the nights not cooling down much it's really hard to pull the temp down in there.

i'm using two misters in the run, but i've been reluctant to use one in the coop. i worry that moisture applied to the litter (i'm using the deep litter method) will encourage bacteria, fungus, and other disease issues.
the coop is so darn hot though, especially at night. with the nights not cooling down much it's really hard to pull the temp down in there.

I'm afraid to use them in the coop also. I think it would be too humid and wet.

Back
Top Bottom