Helping Henry

Trevorusn

Crowing
Apr 15, 2019
New Hampshire
My Buff Brahma cockerel Henry was acting lethargic and remaining hunched over, tail down and head sunk in and comb and wattles turning purple over the past 2 days. I lost two of my splash JGs this week, and my only splash cockerel was one of them. I believe he died of Marek's as my flock is confirmed to have it. I was worried Henry would be next. I decided to add an uncovered area to their run as soon as I saw this, and Henry has begun to regain some of his energy again. He eats and drinks, flies into the coop at night, and walks around now with his tail held higher. He is slower than before though, he doesn't stand tall like before, his comb and wattles remain pink versus being purple but still not the vibrant red as before, and he hasn't shown interest in mounting the ladies. He has had watery clear poops for weeks now, but this flock does drink a great deal. I don't know what is happening and could use some guidance. Thanks. The pics are of his rear and head currently. Besides more sunshine, my flocks are now getting black sunflower seeds daily.
20210403_173135.jpg
20210403_173147.jpg

The pale comb and watery poop sounds similar to some Marek's symptoms.

Have you checked his weight? How is his crop? There could be an impaction somewhere that is not letting a lot of solid poop through.

I would try giving him some Nutri Drench and pro biotics.

Also, the sunflower seeds have a high fat content so I wouldn't give them too many of those even though they love them.

How old is he?

The pale comb and watery poop sounds similar to some Marek's symptoms.

Have you checked his weight? How is his crop? There could be an impaction somewhere that is not letting a lot of solid poop through.

I would try giving him some Nutri Drench and pro biotics.

Also, the sunflower seeds have a high fat content so I wouldn't give them too many of those even though they love them.

How old is he?
He isn't a year yet, and their waterers have Rooster Booster in them. The seeds I've been giving incase a vitamin deficiency might be an issue. Haven't checked his weight yet.

He is definately thin, but his crop is pretty empty. He has been sunning alot, and has started preening himself again. He is drinking alot as well.

Sometimes it's hard to get a rooster to eat. Do you have any high protein food on hand?
Or if not then use whatever regular feed you have and make a mash out of it with water. I usually mix in a can of cat food that the cats don't like just to make it interesting. Make a big pan of it because Henry will probably want the girls to eat first and hopefully he will eat that to help with the watery poop. Or you could try separating him long enough for him to eat.

If you notice him eating that see if it makes a difference in his poop. If not, again he may have an impaction internally. One of my hens was acting similar but also had a doughy crop. Liquids were going through but most solids backing up. Very little solids coming out.

I gave her Meloxicam and then about a tablespoon of coconut oil chunks. in the evening.

In the morning she had pooped out a wad of grass and a crumpled .22 shell casing.
The watery poop has stopped and she's got energy and normal poop.

That may not at all be what is wrong with Henry but diagnosing is sometimes a trial and error process.

Sometimes it's hard to get a rooster to eat. Do you have any high protein food on hand?
Or if not then use whatever regular feed you have and make a mash out of it with water. I usually mix in a can of cat food that the cats don't like just to make it interesting. Make a big pan of it because Henry will probably want the girls to eat first and hopefully he will eat that to help with the watery poop. Or you could try separating him long enough for him to eat.

If you notice him eating that see if it makes a difference in his poop. If not, again he may have an impaction internally. One of my hens was acting similar but also had a doughy crop. Liquids were going through but most solids backing up. Very little solids coming out.

I gave her Meloxicam and then about a tablespoon of coconut oil chunks. in the evening.

In the morning she had pooped out a wad of grass and a crumpled .22 shell casing.
The watery poop has stopped and she's got energy and normal poop.

That may not at all be what is wrong with Henry but diagnosing is sometimes a trial and error process.
He occasionally pecks at the food, I have 18% and 20% feeds mixed at the moment, usually I stick to Nutrena All Flock which is 20% protein. His poop does have a little bit of green substance to it, but its mostly clear. He has more energy and alertness than 2 days ago, I am praying he is on a slow road to recovery. When my other birds displayed these symptoms they never recovered and the longest lasted 4 days before passing.

Really any kind of wet cat food. I usually avoid the chicken flavors because it just seems wrong. lol

I put the dry food in a bowl and add water and let it soak in. Then I mix in the cat food.

Or instead of water use something else. Last week I used the leftover water from green beans that had ham and potatoes. Also I have used the leftover juice from a can of peaches, or drippings from a pot roast.
Just something to make it more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom