HELPPP!!! is this a malpositioned duckling??

At the moment I don’t have a broody duck, I only have 1 duck old enough to lay (this guys mama) but she was destroying the eggs which is why he’s in a bator, he will be in a brooder but he will get non stop attention from me my husband and kids so it’s not like he will be lonely
Ok not to be nosey, but do you work ? And if you do, then put a mirror and stuffed animal in the brooder.

D5998C48-D6E6-45EB-AD35-2A4254C0160E.jpeg

This is the surviving baby, it’s been a few hours and she still doesn’t want to try walking or open her eyes much she chirps a bit and she’s drank water I offered but that’s all she does

View attachment 2761475
This is the surviving baby, it’s been a few hours and she still doesn’t want to try walking or open her eyes much she chirps a bit and she’s drank water I offered but that’s all she does

:love
Was a tough hatch, so just give her some time. She’ll be romping around soon.
Is the navel closed up?

Sorry I wasn’t on earlier, you could have clipped the goop and separated her from the shell at that point. I try to clip as far from the body/navel as possible, but get rid of the gunk. If there’s a stringy piece still attached, it’ll dry up and you can clip it off when it’s fully dry.

:love
Was a tough hatch, so just give her some time. She’ll be romping around soon.
Is the navel closed up?

Sorry I wasn’t on earlier, you could have clipped the goop and separated her from the shell at that point. I try to clip as far from the body/navel as possible, but get rid of the gunk. If there’s a stringy piece still attached, it’ll dry up and you can clip it off when it’s fully dry.
She’s still just laying around, been 3 1/2 hours since I clipped the goo. It looks almost closed up? I’ll attach a photo. She will drink water if I put her beak in it but she’s not active or chirping much anymore keeps opening her mouth like a yawn and won’t open her eyes. I’m starting to worry about her. She’s by herself so what can I do to motivate her
edit: when she drinks water, drops of water come out of her nose, will adding niacin to the water she’s drinking help her at all
image.jpg

Looking good. I think she will come around. Make sure your brooder isn’t too warm. You know how it gets when we get too hot, we just want to lay around.
Just try to be patient.

Looking good. I think she will come around. Make sure your brooder isn’t too warm. You know how it gets when we get too hot, we just want to lay around.
Just try to be patient.
So it’s 7am now so it’s been about 15 hours since I snipped the goo. She’s been in the incubator the entire time but she still won’t walk. She’s a lot more chirpy today, and eyes more open but it looks to me like she can’t bring her right leg forward her head also seems to pull to the side of the non moving leg, does she possibly have a brain issue

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom