Hemp/Cannabis products safe for chickens?

Oh now see I didn't know they wanted free poop, that is different. At least offer a trade or something. I wouldn't just give it away either, that stuff is gold.:)
I'm also weirdly stingy with my chicken poop -- like, I had to do all the coop cleaning! Why would I give this away for free? It would be a different story if they offered to pay me, or to come clean or do yard work, but they don't.

If mine were crapping like buffaloes, I guess I could part with some..... lol.

I've heard of selling eggs but I'm new to BYC so I may start to bag the poop lol, at the moment I'm putting in the garden refuse wheelie bin.

I don't understand 'refuse wheelie bin'. what does it mean in old man language?:old
If it means you are tossing it away, then that is a huge mistake..
incorporate the poop into the soil.
use it on the above ground plants like beans, tomatoes, peppers, etc.. wait until next year to plant the onions , carrots , beets etc.
by then it will be well composted..
......jiminwisc....

Point taken, I'm going to start saving it in a bucket from now on, I never knew about this, glad I read the thread now, cheers.:thumbsup

there ya go.. but now you have the perfect start of your compost pile.
you can add table scraps, lawn clippings , leaves, any green weeds, egg shells,
and I even add meat, although the consenses is not to do that. they claim that it attracts animals. Mine doesn't because my dog keeps all animals away.
look up compost on YouTube..
....jiminwisc........

Hemp bedding has been around for awhile now. Used quite often when deep littering a coop, and it is good at keeping the coop pretty much odor free from what I have been told. It is more expensive than your regular run of the mill bedding though

I've used deep litter hemp bedding for my chickens since March, in the new coop. It's six inches deep and wonderful. Hardly a fly issue, only those that wander in after leaving the coop door open and not to feast on any of the poop. I take out only the big droppings from under the roosts maybe once a week with a dog pooper scooper and a bucket lines with a plastic store bag. When I've filed it (which takes a while) it goes over to the garden for spring fertilizer. Absolutely NO smell, deters bugs and other nasty stuff. It's excellent stuff!! A little spendy to get started, but once your there, like I am, the rewards are amazing!! No respiratory issues, nor mites. Nothing! I'll never change the way I bed down my chickens, ever. I get mine from a place in Oregon, but before that I got it from Carolina Coops on Amazon. No free shipping though. Looks and smells like the day I put it down. Very pleasant. :):clap

I've used deep litter hemp bedding for my chickens since March, in the new coop. It's six inches deep and wonderful. Hardly a fly issue, only those that wander in after leaving the coop door open and not to feast on any of the poop. I take out only the big droppings from under the roosts maybe once a week with a dog pooper scooper and a bucket lines with a plastic store bag. When I've filed it (which takes a while) it goes over to the garden for spring fertilizer. Absolutely NO smell, deters bugs and other nasty stuff. It's excellent stuff!! A little spendy to get started, but once your there, like I am, the rewards are amazing!! No respiratory issues, nor mites. Nothing! I'll never change the way I bed down my chickens, ever. I get mine from a place in Oregon, but before that I got it from Carolina Coops on Amazon. No free shipping though. Looks and smells like the day I put it down. Very pleasant. :):clap

Once it's down and you've reached your six inches in depth, apart from the odd bale to top it up it works out way cheaper than regular shavings, not as heavy as sand and the health benefits are amazing. Not looking at total clean out for around two years! In that time I'll slowly stock up for that big day, when all the old stuff goes to the garden for fertilizer.

It is legal to do this where I am.

Can waste products (straw, leaves) be used as chicken bedding?

Will chickens suffer ill effects from ingestion of any portion of the plant in its natural state?

TIA
The problem I had with this first post is that you don't say where you are. If you are in Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc., I would say no. If you are in one of the US states or handful of countries where it is fully legal, you would be good to go.
That would be Canada, South Africa, Uruguay and Georgia.

I've heard of selling eggs but I'm new to BYC so I may start to bag the poop lol, at the moment I'm putting in the garden refuse wheelie bin.
That would be a good reuse/recycling of feed bags.

I have put off commenting while I did some research.
hemp bedding I located was $2.oo/pound.
too rich for my blood.
as I mentioned earlier, my daughter has a cbd , cbg, hemp oil store.
Now she has a Wisconsin permit to grow hemp. She is growing some on my acreage.
is the hemp you bought, ground up ?
chopped ? dried ?
I might just run some through my lawn shredder ..
......jiminwisc........

I don't even know what the difference is between hemp and cannabis.

Is it the same thing? :confused::oops:

I've only recently heard of CBD oil and thought it was made from hemp and I though that hemp has no "psyco" stuff in it.

Hemp (legally) can contain no more than 0.03% of THC (which is tetrahydrocannabinol), which is what makes a person feel high. CBD does not have that high. Hemp is legal to grow in the U.S. thanks to the "Hemp Farming Act of 2018" passed December 20 2018. It's fine to use around chickens for bedding, etc. ;)

Back
Top Bottom