Hen [2 yrs.] acting egg bound, but no sign of an egg for 3 days

chicken3000

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2021
One of our hens—Joan Snow—(turning 3 in May) has started taking on the characteristics of being egg bound in the past week. She waddles like a penguin, is constantly flexing her vent as if she is trying to lay, but no egg can be found.

We've read up and tried many of the remedies offered for this kind of thing: Warm epsom salt bath, crushed up Tums in her food, checking with a latex glove and vaseline... there doesn't seem to be an egg inside her at all. When we tried the bath and the latex glove, she turned a purplish-red and was breathing heavily, as if under a lot of strain/stress — which I totally get. She is still passing solid BMs, but has had runny ones in the past.

She has been separated from the rest of our flock for the past 3 days. We have her in a pet crate to giver her space and quiet to lay, but nothing yet.

It's worth noting that she has laid soft eggs in the past, so we suspect it could have something to do with a calcium deficiency. Does anyone have other ideas of what we can try, or is it time to consult a vet?

Thank you in advance!

She could have a lash egg or a collapsed inside her. Do you have any calcium citrate or tums?
We have tums and are crushing up two at a time to give her with her food. Is there a right amount that we should use, or is it possible to give her too much?

I agree with giving calcium with vitamin D3, about 600 mg. Calcium citrate is quickly absorbed, but others or Tums is fine. Hopefully she is not egg ound, but calcium helps muscle contractions. She might possibly have an egg high up or may be laying internally.

I agree with giving calcium with vitamin D3, about 600 mg. Calcium citrate is quickly absorbed, but others or Tums is fine. Hopefully she is not egg ound, but calcium helps muscle contractions. She might possibly have an egg high up or may be laying internally.

thank you! is 600mg of calcium the limit to give her per day?

Back
Top Bottom