Hen acting strange help! Pics added

Alright then what should I do for my birds who are not sick then?

If the birds have been exposed for some time and are not symptomatic, then I do not treat. For me, birds that are symptomatic with round worms are culled and if worthy treated but removed from flock permanently. With my strategy, the assumption is made all birds are ultimately exposed to parasites such as round worms and coccidia and chronically so. With coccidia, if the initial exposure is gradual the birds develop an immune response that suppresses the coccidia population in their guts enough that impacts on the birds quality of life is minimal. If initial exposure is too rapid, then immunity can not develope quickly enough and you can have mortalites. It is under the overly rapid exposure scenario that I step in with the medication and I make certain it is fresh / properly stored before use. It is generally not practical to prevent exposure to cocci but with proper management you can make the initial introduction gradual. That should be your concern next go around. Treatment of balance of your existing flock is your option. Since they are not showing signs, risk from the treatment should be minimal.

Bad news: Lady puff died this morning...
She was curled around her food dish with a full crop. Yet she was skinnier then anything and her appetite was actually coming back...
My poor Lady Puff...She hated me to the very end.
hit.gif

Show picture, feel her.

Ill make sure to get it up in the morning. She is acting the exact same at my other bird, except her comb is nice and bright unlike her.
She is starting to not eat well, shes slowing down, and just acting off. No diarrhea yet though.
The stool sample came back with a parasite level (out of a scale of 1-10) a 1 and the same goes for the cocidia level. And I bleached and cleaned out there coop so I could rule that out as a problem. I seriously dont understand, because if they were getting into something they all would be sick, and yet that would not count for the baby's that I lost last year because they were confined.
I have started putting the apple cider vinegar in there water just in case its a mold thing, but seriously I am stumped!!!

Should I try switching there feed again?? See if that's the problem for some unknown reason?
I am seriously lost as to what to do, even the vet is stumped *edit* along with the chicken man at the tractor suply. And hes one of the head people for a bantam show club for New England. I even have my organic neighbor stumped! I have been trying my butt off to keep my ladys healthy, and yet no mater what they just keep dropping...Grr!!
And sadly I was unable to have a necropsy done as the lab was closed over the weekend and I froze the body, they told me they could not test the subject unless I brought it to them frozen which at the time was not posible...So, now I have to wait for someone else to die just to have it done
hit.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing that I wanted to add, is that my bantams are all 100% fine. No one is getting sick or acting off bantam wise, and they are all coop'ed not free ranged due to my big birds picking on them. What would be toxic in my yard? Should I post pictures of my yard and there favorit scratching places?

I am seriously lost as to what to do, even the vet is stumped *edit* along with the chicken man at the tractor suply. And hes one of the head people for a bantam show club for New England. I even have my organic neighbor stumped! I have been trying my butt off to keep my ladys healthy, and yet no mater what they just keep dropping...Grr!!
And sadly I was unable to have a necropsy done as the lab was closed over the weekend and I froze the body, they told me they could not test the subject unless I brought it to them frozen which at the time was not posible...So, now I have to wait for someone else to die just to have it done :hit

So sorry :hugs :hugs :hugs

Am I underst anding correctly that the birds haven't become really thin by the time they've died? It might be good to weigh any bird you're worried about, & then re-weigh every week or so to see if they are losing weight.
How long has it generally been from the time they started showing signs to the time they died?

Last edited:
So sorry
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Am I underst anding correctly that the birds haven't become really thin by the time they've died? It might be good to weigh any bird you're worried about, & then re-weigh every week or so to see if they are losing weight.
How long has it generally been from the time they started showing signs to the time they died?

Actually, they have been loosing weight, I can feel it in there breastbone. :(
It normally takes about two to three weeks before they lay down and, well, caputts...
Lady Puff was only 3 pounds when we went to the vet, I had just gotten the scale out the day before she passed T_T She was doing so well that I wasent in a hurry like I should have been.

Could you post pictures of your setup? Would idea how to manage problem. Treating will likely be part of short-term measures but options might suitable uptake of parasites later.

Back
Top Bottom