Hen Acting Very Strange!! Not Eating ?!?! UPDATE!!!!!

choptank330

Songster
10 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
Hi All,
In april I got 2 leghorn chicks to add white eggs to my egg carton :) They have been doing great, started laying about a month ago and have laid everyday since then. Well, yesterday I noticed one of my girls Whitey ( my kids named her ) she was acting kind of standoffish and not very active. I didnt think much of it as it was later in the day. She did lay me an egg yesterday though. Well today I noticed it seems to be getting kind of worse. She is puffed up like she is trying to keep her self warm ( its 50 degress here ) and not eating much. She doesnt have a big crop as of 6:30pm eastern time, My chickens are spoiled so they get many treats throughout the day. My other chickens crops are huge and hers nothing.

oh, she eats very little and drinks little

My questions are

1- Could she be egg bound?

2- Could she have sour crop? Her crop ( what was there ) was firm not really squishy like sour crop would be

3- Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong with her

****************** UPDATE *********************

She does have worms, I saw a couple of them in her poop today, I am treating her with safeguard paste. Her first dose was Oct.12th and then I will dose again..... A pea sized dollop in the mouth!!!!

Thank you Dawg

Last edited:
When chickens are fed large amounts of treats, they somtimes they seem to refuse to eat their regular chicken feed.
Good luck!
smile.png

Can someone please share what they think?

I do not think she is egg bound, I checked her today and there is nothing that feels like an egg stuck or anything. She is not going in and out of the nest box. In fact she hasn't even acted interested in the nest boxes. She is the only one not really eating and acting weird. I would appreciate if someone might be able to help me.

If she isn't egg bound I would treat her for coccidiosis and worms. Coccidia symptoms are lethargic, puffed up, poor appetite, diarrhea (sometimes blood in it,) and weight loss. Most 6 month olds would have built up immunity unless she was exposed to a new strain maybe tracked in on shoes or tires, or new birds. Corid or amprollium for 5-7 days is the treatment and is in the cattle meds at feedstores. Dosage is 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid in 1 gallon of water.

Last edited:
If she isn't egg bound I would treat her for coccidiosis and worms. Coccidia symptoms are lethargic, puffed up, poor appetite, diarrhea (sometimes blood in it,) and weight loss. Most 6 month olds would have built up immunity unless she was exposed to a new strain maybe tracked in on shoes or tires, or new birds. Corid or amprollium for 5-7 days is the treatment and is in the cattle meds at feedstores. Dosage is 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid in 1 gallon of water.
Thank you, I have corrid. But, I am not seeing her drink much water. Do i need to isolate her? Or just treat the entire flock since they are all together? Would worms or coccidiosis make her stop laying?

She is not going in and out of the nest box. She hasnt even been in the nest box all day. that is what makes me think she isnt egg bound

Last edited:
I would put the Corid in everyone's water, and you can try wetting some feed with Corid water for just her. If she won't drink, you may need to syringe feed or tube feed. Cocci and worms both would decrease laying.

Back
Top Bottom