Hen almost dead HELP

Today when I want out to check on her she was still sleeping ! How do I wake her up ? I toke a syringe and gave her a bit of water . I put warm water on her back to clean up her wounds and she woke up , what do I feed her ? She is doing better
smile.png
a little

You "went out" to check on her - where are you keeping her? She needs to be in a heated area (ie the house), possibly with supplemental heat, away from all the other birds and in a place where she can have quiet and calm. Being in a warm area is even more important when you are using water to clean her wounds as the damp will increase the likelyhood of her becoming chilled and that is dangerous to her at this point. Having her isolated in a small area also makes it easier to monitor intake and output.

If she has not eaten or drank water for more than 2 days, she needs to be tube fed IMMEDIATELY.

And she needs to be somewhere warm, like inside the human house. How long have you known the other hens have been pecking on her?

She is in the chicken coop,about 60 degrees in there . She has a heat lamp over her , She was fine but then I think the rooster mated her
and that made a wound and well you know what happend , How do I tube feed her ? Can I use a syringe ? what do I put in the tube ?

She is in the chicken coop,about 60 degrees in there . She has a heat lamp over her , She was fine but then I think the rooster mated her
and that made a wound and well you know what happend , How do I tube feed her ? Can I use a syringe ? what do I put in the tube ?
Post #8 has a link to Casportpony's guide to tube feeding. Tube feeding is fine, force feeding with a syringe is very dangerous as a bird can so easily aspirate the food into their lungs.

You need to bring this bird inside and keep her warm and quiet. Get her away from the other birds so the rooster cannot keep trying to mate her nor the hens keep pecking at her. They will continue to peck at her wounds if she is left out in the coop. She is never going to heal if she can't get away from the other birds for a while.

You also need to clean the wounds on her back, flush them with water, saline or betadine then apply Neosporin.

If you can get her through her current problems then you need to figure out what brought this on in the first place. Is she possibly feeling poorly due to a mite or worm infestation? Did she have ANY other symptoms earlier?

I do not want to try tube feeding unless I have to, She is not with the rest of the flock ,She is in a dog pen .She was acting strange before this happend , white comb, eating less but then this happend . If she does not wake up by tommorow what do I do ?

She's been ill for 24 or more hours now, right?

• She needs to be inside and kept in a room or cage that 80-85 degrees.
  • Do a thorough exam and check for any type of injury.
  • Once stable, clean wounds.
  • If she is not drinking she needs fluids or she will die. Those fluids should be warmed and given via a tube. Once her hydration is corrected you can tube baby bird food.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

The clock is ticking... most will die in 72 hours if not kept warm and hydrated.

-Kathy

This hen is in serious shock if she is not already dead. Do you have her in the house yet? Is she still breathing? If she is not "awake" do not try to give her food or water. If she cannot swallow, water will run into her lungs. She will drown.

Back
Top Bottom