Hen attacked by dogs-need help treating her!!

carolina chicky

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
South Carolina
I had a pack of wild dogs break into my coop today and wiped out my entire flock. 11 large birds, 6 frizzle bantams. One of the frizzle bantam hens was surprising still alive, barely. I brought her in the house at about 9:00 this morning (right after I discovered the horrible attack). She was flapping her wings and making noise when I picked her up. I brought her inside and checked her over for injuries, she has a large gash across her lower back and another on the side of her neck. I cleaned the wounds and wrapped her up to keep her warm but she seems to be getting worse. She is unresponsive when I pick her up, she just lays with her eyes closed and doesn't move. She was making a gurgling sound when she breathes and had some blood coming out of her mouth earlier, but that seems to have stopped. She hasn't eaten or drank anything all day.
So I am worried about what I should do from here. I don't know if I should just let her rest or if I may have to put her out of her misery. Please someone help!!

I am so sorry that happened, I know birds get shockey and hypothermia is the worst thing, if she is still alive i would put her under a heat lamp and leave her alone till she shows some improvement. I wouldnt put her out of her misery because I get the impression that when they are in shock they really have no idea whats going on and are not really in pain. I would give her a while to see if she come's to. Then figure out what to do from there. Hope she makes it. Good luck :(

Thank you everyone for responding. My hen died shortly after I posted last night. I can't believe I lost my entire flock yesterday (21 total). I have 3 little newborn baby frizzles, that were saved, to raise now, but I'm scared to put them back in the yard after the slaughter yesterday :(

I would be too. I think if the dogs are still around they will come back looking for more "fun". So sorry again.

Back
Top Bottom