Hen attacked by eagle, i scared it away but she’s injured. HELP PLEASE

That she's still alive says a lot for her tenacity and willingness to pull through this tragedy. I recommend that you continue with the egg yolk enriched meals (the white is not as tasty, and is often ignored). You may also consider adding a tinned meat protein/calorie source as well, something like canned mackerel, tuna or sardines packed in oil, these products have a very favorable amino acid profile while elevating her protein intake to help her body heal. I think putting her 'next door' to her flock in that separate area is an excellent idea, it will reduce the risk of her losing her place in the pecking order. I'm guessing that the veterinarian will want to put a couple of stitches in her neck to help her properly swallow her food, (and allow it to find her crop). A squirt of larvicid / antibiotic spray on the most noticeable wounds will help her avoid being pecked once she's reintegrated with the flock.
Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.
aw thanks. she’s all stitched up now with all her wounds taken care of. she’s in her coop waking up from the sedation they gave her.

it took her quite some time to wake up from the sedation and then she ate some but now she’s not eating. ah there’s so many worries. she also isn’t clucking as loud as before but she could just have a little bit of tiredness from being sedated.
She might still be off from sedation. Maybe she would like some scrambled egg, lots of good calories there for her. 🙏🏻

she’s pretty peppy this morning but i’m still worried about her beak. if she heals but is forever handicapped from this i’ll never forgive myself for not trying to fix it. i took some pics of it:
left side:
682C0D04-7DC4-4A2E-8E81-579D5CF58C42.jpeg

right side:
2E18DF68-C288-42EB-ABB6-81C5973DD45B.jpeg

front:
FBF82E3A-01E8-4328-9C2C-E1D778913EAA.jpeg
E4075B58-637F-42A9-9762-EE88C7549388.jpeg

sorry their so bad she wasn’t a fan of cooperating. you can see where it’s cracked on the left side. should i try to move it back into place? or not? what should i do if anything?

I don't have any experience about the beak, but I have a hen recovered from fox attack very well. She had a huge through-hole on her back after the attack. I cleaned her, spray & apply Neosporin Original Ointment on her everyday. She only eat a little amount of chopped eggs the first few days, and slowly started to eat her feed and treats. Just add some nutri-drench to her water and make sure that she drink enough water. If you really worry about her not eating enough, you can use syringe to feed her some babybird formula like this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kaytee-Exact-Handfeeding-Baby-Bird-7-5-oz/22133512

Good luck with your girl!

Back
Top Bottom