Hen Attacked Rooster??

I had a similar problem a few years ago (chasing hens for no reason). I separated the rooster for a week (isolation, no contact with other chickens), when he went back he was still aggressive so onto the grill he went. By breed, he was a shamo known for their aggressive nature. Try and give this a try, hope it works out.

welcome-byc.gif
I think the hen was protecting you. I've heard of hens going after a rooster when it attacked their "human." If she keeps doing, she think he needs it, personally I think he needs a good thrashing to humble him.

Some people say you should not have a lot of contact with young cockerels. If you make a cute pet out of them they lose fear and respect for humans. That turns into aggressive when they are mature roosters and have a major dose of hormones raging.

He is not a rooster you would want chicks sired by.

Last edited:
:welcome   I think the hen was protecting you.  I've heard of hens going after a rooster when it  attacked their "human."  If she keeps doing, she think he needs it, personally I think he needs a good thrashing to humble him.

Some people say you should not have a lot of contact with young cockerels. If you make a cute pet out of them they lose fear  and respect for humans. That turns into aggressive when they are mature roosters and have a major dose of hormones raging.

He is not a rooster you would want chicks sired by.

This is very helpful; thank you!
I was wondering if it was even possible for a chicken to be "protective" of a human. She is most "lap chicken" of all the ladies and never attacked him til she saw him flog me and she actually got him off of me.
It seems he is becoming more trouble than he is worth since now the hen seems totally intolerant of him. I guess it is decision time :/

Back
Top Bottom