Apr 30, 2019
09369684-662A-4D59-92D8-12548CA7EA86.jpeg
694EC140-3D41-4C7C-B68B-726B85E7B87B.jpeg
A99F935A-857E-4013-B130-AA542BDCA713.jpeg
Hi,
So yesterday one of my hens was attacked by a neighbours border collie, luckily someone in my family noticed before it did too much damage. It managed to get in somewhere, but I have no clue where, so I’m keeping both of my hens inside my conservatory at the moment. She has one little wound under her wing and a bigger wound on her back, it looks like the skin was just peeled there and she lost a lot of feathers. She has just started to grow feathers back after molting so I’m guessing that made her loose more feathers. I can’t see any places where she may have been bitten however the dog did have feathers in it’s mouth. I’m not sure if I should take her to a vet as I don’t know if the border collie could have broken her wings or infected the wounds. I have flushed both wounds and I did try to bandage her up but she just kept pecking at the bandage, I’ve also given her some antibiotics. Should I take her to the vets??

I wouldn't expect a vet to be needed right now if it isn't to bad from what I can see, I have had animals attack my animals all I do is clean the wound everyday, pick any excess feathers by the wound, and keep her separated with a 'see no touch' coop so no other hen can bother the wound, although you can still keep them together. I would apply antibiotic ointment and allow her to have plenty of food and water. You don't need to bandage her up either, and what antibiotics are you giving her?

I would continue to clean the wounds, but apply plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day to wounds. Look for any puncture wounds from teeth, which can become infected. Keep the wounds uncovered, but I would use a towel or puppy pads for bedding so particles of bedding do not get into wounds. What antibiotic and dosage are you using? Is she eating and drinking?

I wouldn't expect a vet to be needed right now if it isn't to bad from what I can see, I have had animals attack my animals all I do is clean the wound everyday, pick any excess feathers by the wound, and keep her separated with a 'see no touch' coop so no other hen can bother the wound, although you can still keep them together. I would apply antibiotic ointment and allow her to have plenty of food and water. You don't need to bandage her up either, and what antibiotics are you giving her?

I’ve put a bit of baytrill in her water that I’ve had for a hen I used to have. She’s quite a confident hen so luckily she’s not too shook up. I went to get something for her last night, I was going to get peroxide and dilute it as I’ve heard that works quite well but the only thing I could find was an antiseptic for birds and I’ve flushed her with that a few times.

And thankyou for such a quick response :)

I’ve put a bit of baytrill in her water that I’ve had for a hen I used to have. She’s quite a confident hen so luckily she’s not too shook up. I went to get something for her last night, I was going to get peroxide and dilute it as I’ve heard that works quite well but the only thing I could find was an antiseptic for birds and I’ve flushed her with that a few times.
Alright would continue what you're doing for now, sadly I don't have to much information so i'll leave the experts take over now, good luck!

I would continue to clean the wounds, but apply plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day to wounds. Look for any puncture wounds from teeth, which can become infected. Keep the wounds uncovered, but I would use a towel or puppy pads for bedding so particles of bedding do not get into wounds. What antibiotic and dosage are you using? Is she eating and drinking?
Yes, she does seem to be quite calm after it and is still eating and drinking. I’ve been giving her a little bit of baytrill in her water.

Back
Top Bottom