Hen badly injured

6FFE8FD8-B159-46BC-8CCE-7D16766E0355.jpeg
Her and Rebel.
This was after telling her a million times to clean her room and make her bed. Lol

2 1/2 week UPDATE:

Rebel is doing great!
She’s eating a lot and when I say a lot I mean ALOT! She finishes a cup of chicken feed (not mash), an egg and a cup of wet cucumber seeds or carrots cut really small and she’s able to even finish a handful of cracked corn.
She does not stink anymore. Amoxicillin cleared up whatever infection she had.
As of late, I’ve been taking paper towels and able to grab some of her feathers to squeeze out some excess ointment from the antibiotic ointment.
Although some of her feathers on the side of her neck have been falling off, I put a light coat of A&D ointment so soothe the dryness.
Rebel’s back to being Rebel to say the least. Our rebellious little pipsqueak, flying on tables and causing a ruckus when she doesn’t get her way.

Here are some pictures of her recovery.

Attachments

• 9DE2D2F1-D24C-4814-B27A-124224EF705A.jpeg
    9DE2D2F1-D24C-4814-B27A-124224EF705A.jpeg
    561.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 8153F79D-0FF3-49DE-879D-FF459B89DF59.jpeg
    8153F79D-0FF3-49DE-879D-FF459B89DF59.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 3BE9294E-3381-4DC4-A40C-894F625FE2CF.jpeg
    3BE9294E-3381-4DC4-A40C-894F625FE2CF.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 4501878B-6D08-4D5A-B324-DD729C9B7D47.jpeg
    4501878B-6D08-4D5A-B324-DD729C9B7D47.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 10
2 1/2 week UPDATE:

Rebel is doing great!
She’s eating a lot and when I say a lot I mean ALOT! She finishes a cup of chicken feed (not mash), an egg and a cup of wet cucumber seeds or carrots cut really small and she’s able to even finish a handful of cracked corn.
She does not stink anymore. Amoxicillin cleared up whatever infection she had.
As of late, I’ve been taking paper towels and able to grab some of her feathers to squeeze out some excess ointment from the antibiotic ointment.
Although some of her feathers on the side of her neck have been falling off, I put a light coat of A&D ointment so soothe the dryness.
Rebel’s back to being Rebel to say the least. Our rebellious little pipsqueak, flying on tables and causing a ruckus when she doesn’t get her way.

Here are some pictures of her recovery.
So glad that to hear that she's doing much better!
Eating is great! It looks like she's healing well too.
Thank you so much for the update and photos.

You know that song that hens sing when they have to lay an egg?

Rebel is doing it.
I know we have to trash all her eggs for at least a month.

Can she still lay while she’s healing up?

Oh and btw Rebel went out to the yard with my daughter and totally took a dust bath and got dirt all in her neck wounds.

The fun part? I have to clean it all. 😂 yay me

You know that song that hens sing when they have to lay an egg?

Rebel is doing it.
I know we have to trash all her eggs for at least a month.

Can she still lay while she’s healing up?

Oh and btw Rebel went out to the yard with my daughter and totally took a dust bath and got dirt all in her neck wounds.

The fun part? I have to clean it all. 😂 yay me
Yay!
Yes, I would let her lay eggs while she's healing, her wounds are around her head/neck so that should be fine. It would be no fun for you or her to try to stop her from laying - she would need to be kept in the dark for about 14-16 hours a day, no fun at all. Let her out like you are doing so she can be in the sunshine, fresh air and enjoy life with your daughter:)

LOL Cleaning all that dirt out will be fun! I had one that had a ripped up neck (from a rooster), I got to where it healed enough and I just finally left the dirt. Anytime you applied ointment she was determined to get in the dirt. She was not as bad as your Rebel though!

I'm so glad to hear she's doing well!

Back
Top Bottom