Hen badly injured

Anyways she’s really hurt, the skin on the back of her neck is completely gone and I can see her neck bones.
She still spews mucus-like stuff from her mouth.
So far, I’ve cleaned her wounds every 1-2 hours and lathered on hen heal, the blue ointment. I saw other posts about using neosporin, would that be better option for her?
Her neck skin is slightly hanging off of her. She’s not bleeding until I put the blue ointment on her.
And we noticed she started to smell like rotten meat, is that normal?

I wrapped her neck all the way around in the gauze wrap and taped it at the end so it’ll stay in place.
Can you please post some photos?
How long ago was she injured (how many days)?
Where are you located?

A smell like rotten meat would be infection.
Flush the wound really well with chlorhexidine or betadine. Hen healer has it's place, but I would not use it for this type of wound. If you can use Neosporin or Vetericyn, those would be better.

If you have vet care, that is best, but I agree, getting some antibiotics is a good idea.
I would start asap. If you have a Tractor Supply look for Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) and get that. If they don't have Amoxicillin, look in their refrigerated section and get Procaine Penicillin G along with some 20 gauge needles and the smallest syringes they carry.

Personally I would not wrap the wound, just keep it moist with your spray.

Tell us more about her spewing mucous-like stuff from her beak? It sounds like she's got more problems. I would see if I could get fluids into her, but the mucous is very concerning.

You can get the items mentioned for disinfecting the wound at most Walmarts or pharmacy. For chlorhexidene, look for Hibiclens which is used with water. If you would rather use Betadine, look for Equate First Aid Solution whichnis povidone iodine. Then for the ointment, plain Triple Antibiotic, Neosporin, or Polysporin are good ones. Your parents may have those at home already. Clean the wounds twice a day with the chlorhexidene and then apply the ointment. The bad odor could be because it needs some cleaning with the disinfectant, and if you can get an antibiotic, that would be good. Let us know how she gets along.

Where are you located?

Flush the wound really well with chlorhexidine or betadine. Hen healer has it's place, but I would not use it for this type of wound. If you can use Neosporin or Vetericyn, those would be better.

If you have vet care, that is best, but I agree, getting some antibiotics is a good idea.
I would start asap. If you have a Tractor Supply look for Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) and get that. If they don't have Amoxicillin, look in their refrigerated section and get Procaine Penicillin G along with some 20 gauge needles and the smallest syringes they carry.

Tell us more about her spewing mucous-like stuff from her beak? It sounds like she's got more problems. I would see if I could get fluids into her, but the mucous is very concerning.

Hi, I’ve got Dr. Sheffield’s triple antibiotic ointment. I lather it on her neck and I wrap her neck up throughout the day.
As far as wound wash, I’ve been using antimicrobial poultry care spray. But I really want to use 50/50 peroxide solution, is this safe to use?
I’m about to clean her right now. I will take pictures also. Please advise.
Than I will call around to Tractor Supply and ask if they have fish mox.

Hi, I’ve got Dr. Sheffield’s triple antibiotic ointment. I lather it on her neck and I wrap her neck up throughout the day.
As far as wound wash, I’ve been using antimicrobial poultry care spray. But I really want to use 50/50 peroxide solution, is this safe to use?
I’m about to clean her right now. I will take pictures also. Please advise.
Than I will call around to Tractor Supply and ask if they have fish mox.
I would continue with the poultry spray. Peroxide can be damaging over time with use.

The triple antibiotic ointment is fine.

BCF1100D-8FC8-4E21-B128-C97FEBBF19F8.jpeg

This is what I’m using

Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom