Hen badly injured

Pics
I’ve tried but it’s hard to do.
Yea ☹ Every time I clean her she tries to get away.
Do you think that's the source of the smell? Is the smell getting better?
If you need to, take a thin towel and gently swaddle her - capturing her wings, when you are flushing/treating her wounds. You will have more control over her.

Do you think that's the source of the smell? Is the smell getting better?
If you need to, take a thin towel and gently swaddle her - capturing her wings, when you are flushing/treating her wounds. You will have more control over her.

The smell is coming from the edges of her wound.
And I always have my daughter swaddle her in a blanket while I clean her.

She’s rejected taking the antibiotics tonight. She took it this morning.

I grated my multi-vitamin in her food today, as well, since I don’t have a b-complex vitamin just yet.

I’ve read some other posts on here that honey helps with keeping wounds moist. I need to cut off all the feathers surrounding her neck wound. And after cleaning put ointment and put honey on top of that. Or should I mix the ointment and honey to make a salve to put on her wounds?

Today, Rebel ate some eggs and she refused to take her amoxicillin. She’s getting super skinny. What advice do y’all have to get her appetite going again?
16A6A899-3C74-45CD-973B-50958CF0F19E.jpeg

Yesterday, my other hen had some slash cuts on her head from God knows what but I cleaned the blood, stopped the bleeding and put a small of ointment. She was checked today and looks like her open slash wounds are healed.
But being new to this I am not sure. I attached a picture so everyone can see if it’s healed or infected.

Thank you!

I second the Vetericyn. Like I mentioned before it's what I used on my young roo with the same type of injury, but I've also used it on lots of other farm animals for a variety of boo boos and injuries. It's good stuff, moisturizing, non-stinging, and will help things heal.

Honey- I have used MediHoney in the past, on myself in fact, and liked it's effectiveness, but good raw honey, or medicinal grade honey is expensive. It's not at all like table honey which often times isn't even real honey.
I make my own salves and balms and think that when the healing process is further along, skin has started granulating in, and a high risk of infection has passed, some food grade coconut oil, plain vitamin e oil, or sunflower oil could be useful for moisturizing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom