Hen badly injured

Rebel is healing nicely!
Although my daughter is concerned about this part turning black.
Is this normal?
I’m guessing not but y’all know best!
I went back over the whole thread, it's hard to see, but I "think" that portion of the comb was damaged too(?)
Likely that scab will eventually fall off. She may have a little chunk out of the comb, not sure, time will tell.
I don't see any angry looking tissue, so I would just continue as you are.

Glad to hear she's healing!

I went back over the whole thread, it's hard to see, but I "think" that portion of the comb was damaged too(?)
Likely that scab will eventually fall off. She may have a little chunk out of the comb, not sure, time will tell.
I don't see any angry looking tissue, so I would just continue as you are.

Glad to hear she's healing!

It might be, it doesn’t appear to be.
I thought it was just hanging off like that from the attack.
But yes we shall see as she heals more! 😀

Really?
It’s been in the 50’s and 70’s here.
It’s strange because just 2 days ago everyone was in shorts than yesterday everyone is back in hoodies.
I said it looked like it....but knew it wasn't because of your location.
Sorry I wasn't any help.

Here’s an update!

Sorry it took me so long to post one. There’s a lot going on!

How is everyone doing btw??? Anybody need to talk, I’m here and I’ve got time!

So since the last update... We got 7 chickadees and a turkey, as well.
I am so obsessed with our baby turkey! He/she is sooooo so so cute! He waddles up from my lap and cuddles into my neck and hair when I bring them out to the living room for their 10 minute exercise! ❤️

Back to Rebel 😀
She’s much much better! She literally has no more scrab so now we are waiting for her skin to regenerate over the remaining scrab that’s left. She is really back to herself! 😄 Back in the yard and taking dirt baths! Scratching like crazy and throws a fit when we bring her in so the puppies can get out 😂
Although, I do wonder if her comb will go back to standing up?!.. It keeps growing bigger, bigger.. Her whole face gets red when she’s hot. It scares me abit when her face does that. Is there anything I can do to help her cool down?

Here are some pictures of her injury now.

Well my friends, that’s the Rebel update! She’s better and we all say HI 👋🏼

Attachments

• 6DFF957A-90DB-46FE-98AE-39A1C5DE663B.jpeg
    6DFF957A-90DB-46FE-98AE-39A1C5DE663B.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 12
  • B6A60887-4E37-4C40-866D-1D4A8C57D5FF.jpeg
    B6A60887-4E37-4C40-866D-1D4A8C57D5FF.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 12
  • 47377C2B-26C6-42EB-856D-00530C86E19C.jpeg
    47377C2B-26C6-42EB-856D-00530C86E19C.jpeg
    537.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi y’all,
I’m new to raising my own chickens without my fathers help.
Yesterday one of my hens (she’s about a year old) was attacked by my puppy who is 11 weeks old. He’s a playful little fella so I don’t think he meant to almost kill her.
Anyways she’s really hurt, the skin on the back of her neck is completely gone and I can see her neck bones.
She’s still alive and can occasionally lift up her neck. I feed her water and just fed her some mushed chicken feed. She still spews mucus-like stuff from her mouth.
So far, I’ve cleaned her wounds every 1-2 hours and lathered on hen heal, the blue ointment. I saw other posts about using neosporin, would that be better option for her?
Her neck skin is slightly hanging off of her. She’s not bleeding until I put the blue ointment on her.
I can post pictures of her neck the next time I change the gauze.
Please any advice how to save her is greatly appreciated.
I love her and I don’t want her to die.
My dog caught one of my chickens too. unfortunately I didn't realize it in time and the maggots got to her. She had a huge gash to the side of her. She started to get a moldy wound so i had to dry her after each bath and it was a huge debate wether she was healed enough to leave the wound dry. We left it dry and it was the wrong decision. I think you should give her antibiotics and keep dressing it with neosporin or (same thing) triple antibiotic ointment is good to keep the wound protected and lubricated (i dont know what blue ointment is).

My dog caught one of my chickens too. unfortunately I didn't realize it in time and the maggots got to her. She had a huge gash to the side of her. She started to get a moldy wound so i had to dry her after each bath and it was a huge debate wether she was healed enough to leave the wound dry. We left it dry and it was the wrong decision. I think you should give her antibiotics and keep dressing it with neosporin or (same thing) triple antibiotic ointment is good to keep the wound protected and lubricated (i dont know what blue ointment is).
Oh sorry never mind i didnt know how old this post is and this wound is really minor.

Oh sorry never mind i didnt know how old this post is and this wound is really minor.
Still that's so unfortunate, I remember I had to take one of my hens inside because she was left with one wing from a raccoon attack, the other was just a stub. I was so worried about maggots setting in but she turned out alright, thankfully. The risk of maggots reduces when they are in the house, but only with immediate action. I recommend Hen Healer from Manna Pro for future wounds. Works really well for frostbite, gashes, and other stuff. Even used it topically on my parakeet for his eye infection and it cleared it right up. It's my go-to whenever a chicken gets injured because it helps them heal so well. I also use it if I get a bad scratch sometimes.

Here’s an update!

Sorry it took me so long to post one. There’s a lot going on!

How is everyone doing btw??? Anybody need to talk, I’m here and I’ve got time!

So since the last update... We got 7 chickadees and a turkey, as well.
I am so obsessed with our baby turkey! He/she is sooooo so so cute! He waddles up from my lap and cuddles into my neck and hair when I bring them out to the living room for their 10 minute exercise! ❤️

Back to Rebel 😀
She’s much much better! She literally has no more scrab so now we are waiting for her skin to regenerate over the remaining scrab that’s left. She is really back to herself! 😄 Back in the yard and taking dirt baths! Scratching like crazy and throws a fit when we bring her in so the puppies can get out 😂
Although, I do wonder if her comb will go back to standing up?!.. It keeps growing bigger, bigger.. Her whole face gets red when she’s hot. It scares me abit when her face does that. Is there anything I can do to help her cool down?

Here are some pictures of her injury now.

Well my friends, that’s the Rebel update! She’s better and we all say HI 👋🏼
I'm new to the thread but just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done! 👏👏 This happened to one of my hens as well. I also wanted to caution you about the curiosity of your other birds. It is unlikely that the feathers will grow back and chickens are real good about noticing when things are different so just keep a close eye on her. The skin will always be very thin and delicate in that area.

Back
Top Bottom