Hen been attacked by a puppy

Williamspage

Hatching
Oct 20, 2020
Hi there - I’m hoping someone can help me. I have 2 23 week old hens that haven’t started laying yet. I also have a puppy and so far they have been getting fine. Last night the puppy got a bit excited and chased the hen floored it and bit it’s neck. I couldn’t see what happened but I think the pup tore some of the feathers from the neck of the chicken. I panicked and phoned the vets who were completely unhelpful. The chicken, after the initial shock, seems ok and is eating and drinking. There’s no obvious signs that she’s in pain or distress. If anything her sister looks and sounds more stressed by the situation. My question is what do I do? She has a nasty wound on the back of her neck (there was a lot of blood initially but it all seems dry now). She looks disheveled but seems to be acting normally. The pup will never be allowed out with them again. I’m devestated by it all and feel so bad. I’d be grateful for any help.

Attachments

• 41EE9380-6589-41CE-BCC5-015B2BEC1978.jpeg
    41EE9380-6589-41CE-BCC5-015B2BEC1978.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 60D5342A-2607-4B2D-AB6A-6A77B9BDCE8E.jpeg
    60D5342A-2607-4B2D-AB6A-6A77B9BDCE8E.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi William, firstly please dont blame yourself unfortunately these things happen. Good news is i seen chickens get better with worse wounds. If u can cut any feathers that are covering it and send us a clear picture then clean with saline if u have any if not may warm salt water? Then she may need some antibiotic cream... she will need to be brought in and seperated from others as they will peck wound make sure she warm and comftable eating and drinking okay maybe put some vitamins or honey in water for a boost....thats my advice anyways i hope she recovers okay
Sam xxx

Hi William, firstly please dont blame yourself unfortunately these things happen. Good news is i seen chickens get better with worse wounds. If u can cut any feathers that are covering it and send us a clear picture then clean with saline if u have any if not may warm salt water? Then she may need some antibiotic cream... she will need to be brought in and seperated from others as they will peck wound make sure she warm and comftable eating and drinking okay maybe put some vitamins or honey in water for a boost....thats my advice anyways i hope she recovers okay
Sam xxx

Thank you so much for your help. I’ll do that and repost some photos.

If there is a red bloody area the other chicken(s) are likely to pick at it with devastating results. Keep this chicken separate until she heals. If you spray the wound with BluKote, it turns the area blue or purple and the other chickens will leave it alone. BluKote also fights infections.

If there is a red bloody area the other chicken(s) are likely to pick at it with devastating results. Keep this chicken separate until she heals. If you spray the wound with BluKote, it turns the area blue or purple and the other chickens will leave it alone. BluKote also fights infections.
Thank you I’ll get some. I’ve just checked in on her and she seems ok. Pecking away with no obvious signs of distress. The wound does look nasty though.

Attachments

• FFF41DB0-1BC6-4908-8B34-1D677B2592F5.jpeg
    FFF41DB0-1BC6-4908-8B34-1D677B2592F5.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 12
  • E453168B-A544-4222-BE0F-5BDE76911901.jpeg
    E453168B-A544-4222-BE0F-5BDE76911901.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 12
Thank you I’ll get some. I’ve just checked in on her and she seems ok. Pecking away with no obvious signs of distress. The wound does look nasty though.
The wound will heal faster if you can keep it moist, with antibiotic ointment (free of pain reliever), vetericyn, or something similar. It would be difficult to wrap the wound, so don’t worry about that. Just keep it moist and keep her separate, perhaps in a dog kennel, from the other chickens for a few days. She should be just fine!

That doesn’t look too bad honestly.
Like others said, clean it and keep her separated from others for a while.

If it makes you feel any better my pup did way worse to a guinea hen of mine. On his birthday of all days🤦‍♀️
He disappeared for a couple hours and we couldn’t find him anywhere. I was so frustrated because I always do my best to keep a constant eye on our dogs, but I got distracted.
He finally emerges from the corn field just as my husband is about to drive the dirt roads looking for him. We go about the day. Fast forward to the late afternoon and I see one of my guinea hens naked and covered in dirt. She looked like a walking corps😓 I was angry and oh so sad.
I’d post pictures, but it was shockingly brutal looking.
Im sure your girl will make a full recovery 🙂 Mine has😊

Back
Top Bottom