Hen being pecked on--new chickens--ADVICE PLEASE

waghmg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Hi, newbie here that posted under "chicken behaviors and egglaying" before. This is only my 2nd post.

Have 2 barred rocks and a RIR. Have had the barred rocks just about a week. 2 days later got the RIR. All hens. The RIR is so sweet. Being the newbies that we are, know we've already made some mistakes regarding introducing new hen by herself to the 2 barred rocks and the quarantining that was not done. Anyhow, that's done.

My problem is, I looked at the RIR and she was huddled in the corner. When I went out to check the 2 rocks had pecked her so bad her neck feathers are gone and she is bloody. I'm so upset. What should I do? Don't have another fenced area right now. I have a dog who is not used to the chickens either. The RIR is very tame and we let her out from time to time to scratch when the dog is put up in her kennel.

I'm afraid they're going to kill her. Should I do anything to the wound? Some advice would be helpful. All you guys have been great with the advice on the other forum. Please help!

They could kill her.
sad.png
You have to seperate them I hope someone else who knows more comes on and has more ideas on how to help.

You need to clean the wound when chickens see blood they will keep pecking at it. Do you have a place you put her until the wound heals a dog crate something like that I have heard the blu-kote is what some people use.

You know, that's the only think I don't like about chickens.....They're very territorial and can be so mean to eachother. Down right viscious! What you'll have to do, is separate her......I know you don't have an extra space, but now that she's been pecked and bleeding, they will continue to do so and she won't be able to heal.

Do you have a large dog crate that you can sit out in the chicken area, where they will be able to see her but not get to her? Then she can heal, and they will get comfortable with her being there. Then when she's relatively healed, you can let her back out with the girls.

One thing that helps is, if you can, change things up a bit in their coop and run just before you release her......Move things around, maybe put a roost or add a few things for their entertainment to make things look different.......For example, you could lay a log in there for them to hop on, or throw a flake of hay in there for them to scratch around in, or put new bedding in there.......Move the water dish or food if it's practical......Things like that. Then when you let her out, throw a handful of corn out there for everybody to scratch at......

Good luck to you, adding a new hen can be rough....I always like to add at least two at a time.....Maybe you can get another RIR at the same place you got her, and she'll have a buddy.....Safety in numbers, ya know?

Sharon

I took her out of the coop and put her in a fenced in garden area though the fence is not high. I don't have any chicken specialty product to treat the wound with.

I can't stand to watch this. I'm just crying my eyes out. And the thing is she is the sweetest of all of them. I'm ready to get rid of the barred rocks.

Other than a bloody neck she seems fine. Do you think she'll recover?

We were so excited about getting our chickens and now it has become a nightmare!

I would get to a farm store of some kind (TSC or something similar) and get some blue kote. That will help disguise the bloody area. After that's done and she's had a few days to heal up, I think I might try breaking up your dynamic duo. Maybe try isolating one of the BRs - keeping the most aggressive in dog crate for a few days, and watching to see how you RIR does with a single BR. Maybe give it a shot this weekend, when you'll have plenty of observation time. If that works, and those two do okay for 2-3 days, then try reintroducing the other BR. It's worth a shot anyhow.
And I didn't see your other post, but the run is plenty big enough for the three birds??? Put a roost or two, and maybe a log/stump or something in the run, so that birds that need to get away have a place to get to. Anytime you're dealing with bullies, having an extra feeder away from the other feeder is a good thing to, as that's when a lot of bullying takes place - around food.

I learned the hard way that you never introduce just one. I will probably end up with more damage than you think. My girl ended up dying. Get another chicken for her, maybe two and house them together for a while. What I do is during the day I keep the two new ones in the coop, seperated with a screen and the existing ones are in the run. They see each other nd visit through the screen. At night, I put the new ones in a crate inside the coop and the existing ones roost as usual. I do this for one week or more and then I leave the run open when I intergrate them and the new ones stay near or in the coop/run and the others go out to forage. eventually they come together with little to no pecking or bullying. Works every time!

This is what I'm doing:

I took the bloody girl, 'Daisy', out of the pen with the 2 barred and put her in a garden area that has a low fence. Have a dog crate out there w/some bedding in it. Also have food and water out there w/her. She seems to be pecking at her food. But she just kinda stands in one spot right now unless I'm out there w/her. Is that because she probably traumatized?

My problem is when I leave later on today. My husband suggests I let the dog out of her kennel and put Daisy in the dog's kennel to be protected for the day. Then this evening we're going to put Daisy closed up in the coop while the barreds are in pen part. The have a place in there they like to roost.

The coop is more a 'chicken tractor" so it's only about 5 wide x 8-10 feet long, I know not big. We have plans to build a bigger coop in the back soon and we really need this sooner than later.

I wanted to get another hen from the place we got Daisy but he says he doesn't want to until we get the bigger coop/pen done. Do you think she'll be ok w/out being around other chickens for awhile?

Thanks so much for listening and for your advice. This is all so new to us. We THOUGHT we knew enough to get started. It really pays to be well educated.

Holly

I'm so sorry for your Daisy.

My advice is when she's healed and you start the introductions again (which ever way you decide) keep them busy! They are like little kids- distraction is key. Have snacks ready (BOSS, yogurt, scratch, small pieces of bread they can scramble for) and make sure you have the time to keep an eye on them while they free range. Every so often call them over with a "Chick Chick Chick" or like me a good shaking of the milk jug with Boss in it gets them running. Just give them a tiny amount. Not only are you keeping them focused on the food and not Daisy, you're training your flock to come when you call them. This has worked for me in the past. The most important thing is to be vigilant- which you are. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom