Marble sized lump on upper leg of chicken. She is pecking at it and it is open and bleeding.

firebrand

Hatching
Jan 18, 2024
Hi all: this is our second winter with this chicken. She is one of a flock of 15. Noticed blood on bedding in coop. Turned this barred rock over and she has a tumour/haematoma on the inside of her leg. It has been -15 C here so I took her into the garage, put on a fire and set her up in a bin with food and water.
She ate some but I have not seen her drink. Kept her warm all night, and this morning I soaked her in epsom salt and water. Tumour is open and oozing blood. I dried her and applied comfrey oil to the area. She is still pecking so I think I will apply betadine and then wrap it to keep her from pecking.
Please if anyone has other advice I would appreciate it.
I will try to post a picture later.
Blessings to all you back yard chicken owners.

Hi all: this is our second winter with this chicken. She is one of a flock of 15. Noticed blood on bedding in coop. Turned this barred rock over and she has a tumour/haematoma on the inside of her leg. It has been -15 C here so I took her into the garage, put on a fire and set her up in a bin with food and water.
She ate some but I have not seen her drink. Kept her warm all night, and this morning I soaked her in epsom salt and water. Tumour is open and oozing blood. I dried her and applied comfrey oil to the area. She is still pecking so I think I will apply betadine and then wrap it to keep her from pecking.
Please if anyone has other advice I would appreciate it.
I will try to post a picture later.
Blessings to all you back yard chicken owners.
Welcome To BYC

Is vet care an option?

Can you please post photos of your hen and the tumor?

Well, I am not tech savvy and cannot get my phone to upload to my computer so I have no photo!
Sadly though, my chicken died during the night.
She had a wonderful last few days though, and for that I am truly thankful.
As the Lord says," Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
the book of Matthew chapter 10, verse 31.
All this to say that God cares even for this little chicken as well as for us.
It was her time to go and she went peacefully and without any undue suffering. She was in a clean warm bed by the woodstove, and she just fell asleep.
Thank you for letting me post.
May God bless each of you as you care for a part of God's marvellous creation.

Well, I am not tech savvy and cannot get my phone to upload to my computer so I have no photo!
Sadly though, my chicken died during the night.
She had a wonderful last few days though, and for that I am truly thankful.
As the Lord says," Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
the book of Matthew chapter 10, verse 31.
All this to say that God cares even for this little chicken as well as for us.
It was her time to go and she went peacefully and without any undue suffering. She was in a clean warm bed by the woodstove, and she just fell asleep.
Thank you for letting me post.
May God bless each of you as you care for a part of God's marvellous creation.
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Back
Top Bottom