hen being plucked bald

irf1983

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Brooksville, FL
one of my hens is being plucked bald. they haven't broken skin, but the area they are plucking is spreading. they free range so it isn't a matter of boredom. is there anything i can put on her back to dter the others and give her a chance to grow some feathers back? thanks!

There are several anti-pick products sold, and pine tar (sold for horses) can be used. BluKote is often used. Are you sure this is feather picking, though? Molting should start at the head and neck, and they can molt any time of year.

definitely plucking. i've seen those apron deals, it's so humid here, i worry about bacteria or mold between the cloth and her skin.

try to remove the chicken who is getting pecked, we rescued a chicken who was bald and now she is the leader of our flock and accepts no messing around!

Quote:
right on the back, between the wings

That sounds just like what's happening to mine. It's because of over-mating. You either need to seperate her or maybe make a saddle out of some linen. I have about 8 of mine in saddles and they are doin ok in 90 degree heat.

Not sure if you sew but I got the instructions here. Very easy! And fun to see a colorful flock
smile.png

Quote:
I have read many references to the use of pine tar with feather plucking chickens, but I must say I am a little hesitant to use it myself when its label has these huge warnings about being fatal if swallowed. How can it be applied without fear of the hens killing themselves when they are preening?

Back
Top Bottom