Hen breed ID help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EColson15, Mar 10, 2017.

1. EColson15

EColson15 New Egg

Feb 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were at Rural King a while back and they had a bin full of pullets of laying breed varieties. We bought a barred rock, a rhode island red and these two, which they had labeled as Easter Eggers. As these girls have gotten older, we have become more and more perplexed about what breed of chicken this is. We did some looking around on the internet at pictures of as many black and white breeds as we could find and the only thing we think they could be is Javas. If anyone has any input, we would love to hear it.
    Thanks!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I think you're on the right track -- how old are they now?

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    They are beautiful! While their coloring is very Java like, they have beards, so are EEs. :) Though when I first saw the pictures my first thought was Java!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I'm not seeing bearding - especially as bearding suppresses wattles and these birds have very clear wattles.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    I am, but they are not at all full. It is most evident in the last picture - the muffs are also visible.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking you're right. I can't see their body shape really well from the pics, that would help. but everything else lines up, except the "broken" blue/slate coloring on the legs. But, with hatchery stock, that's kind of nit-picky, I think. They're definitely yellow skinned with a slate overlay.

They don't look like they're laying yet?

What a neat find from a feed store.

7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016

Can't anybody see the muffs, or is it just me? They are not full at all, hard to see. I'm wondering if something is wrong with me, lol!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No, I don't see muffs at all. I see white feathers in that last pic, under the head, but the other two pics clearly show clean faces. Straight combs, yellow skin, mottled coloring that isn't found in hatchery EE, I couldn't see why you were saying EE at all [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    me too,

10. EColson15

EColson15 New Egg

Feb 10, 2016
    They are about 16 or so weeks. Maybe a little older. The reason I ever thought Easter Egger is that is what they were labeled, but with the dark over yellow legs and their size (4.5 or so pounds) I wondered if they were mislabeled. Fingers crossed for Java because that would be a cool mix up from the feed store. I guess the eggs will tell us more. Thank you everybody for your feedback! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by