Hen breed ID help please

EColson15

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2016

We were at Rural King a while back and they had a bin full of pullets of laying breed varieties. We bought a barred rock, a rhode island red and these two, which they had labeled as Easter Eggers. As these girls have gotten older, we have become more and more perplexed about what breed of chicken this is. We did some looking around on the internet at pictures of as many black and white breeds as we could find and the only thing we think they could be is Javas. If anyone has any input, we would love to hear it.
Thanks!

They are beautiful! While their coloring is very Java like, they have beards, so are EEs.
smile.png
Though when I first saw the pictures my first thought was Java!

I'm not seeing bearding - especially as bearding suppresses wattles and these birds have very clear wattles.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm thinking you're right. I can't see their body shape really well from the pics, that would help. but everything else lines up, except the "broken" blue/slate coloring on the legs. But, with hatchery stock, that's kind of nit-picky, I think. They're definitely yellow skinned with a slate overlay.

They don't look like they're laying yet?

What a neat find from a feed store.

:welcome

I'm thinking you're right. I can't see their body shape really well from the pics, that would help. but everything else lines up, except the "broken" blue/slate coloring on the legs. But, with hatchery stock, that's kind of nit-picky, I think. They're definitely yellow skinned with a slate overlay. 

They don't look like they're laying yet? 

What a neat find from a feed store. 

Can't anybody see the muffs, or is it just me? They are not full at all, hard to see. I'm wondering if something is wrong with me, lol!

No, I don't see muffs at all. I see white feathers in that last pic, under the head, but the other two pics clearly show clean faces. Straight combs, yellow skin, mottled coloring that isn't found in hatchery EE, I couldn't see why you were saying EE at all
idunno.gif

They are about 16 or so weeks. Maybe a little older. The reason I ever thought Easter Egger is that is what they were labeled, but with the dark over yellow legs and their size (4.5 or so pounds) I wondered if they were mislabeled. Fingers crossed for Java because that would be a cool mix up from the feed store. I guess the eggs will tell us more. Thank you everybody for your feedback!
1f601.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom