Hen Bullying and Feather Plucking

Update: I've added a lot more clutter to the run and I think it's coming along nicely. Also added another feeder and waterer on opposite ends of the run as well as a larger dirt/dust bath area. Unfortunately they still pluck Violet's butt feathers every time they start sprouting back so her giant bald spot persists. Honestly I'm kinda terrified to take Peach's peepers off because she may go ham on Violet's bald spot again and cause another gory injury. I'd love for her feathers to grow back in so I'll feel comfortable enough to try taking the peepers off. I hate leaving them on so long. Any opinions or suggestions?

They haven't been shut in the coop at night for a long while now that we're having warmer weather, so I don't think coop size is currently an issue, though I'm still brainstorming what to do for next fall/winter. Would it be a bad idea to get another small coop and just have two separate coops? Or is modifying my current coop the best option?
IMG_20220519_152202575_HDR.jpg

Update: I've added a lot more clutter to the run and I think it's coming along nicely. Also added another feeder and waterer on opposite ends of the run as well as a larger dirt/dust bath area. Unfortunately they still pluck Violet's butt feathers every time they start sprouting back so her giant bald spot persists. Honestly I'm kinda terrified to take Peach's peepers off because she may go ham on Violet's bald spot again and cause another gory injury. I'd love for her feathers to grow back in so I'll feel comfortable enough to try taking the peepers off. I hate leaving them on so long. Any opinions or suggestions?

They haven't been shut in the coop at night for a long while now that we're having warmer weather, so I don't think coop size is currently an issue, though I'm still brainstorming what to do for next fall/winter. Would it be a bad idea to get another small coop and just have two separate coops? Or is modifying my current coop the best option?
Looks much better in terms of breaking up the space.

As far as the peepers, you can leave them on for a while as far as I know, as long as you check them regularly for any caused irritation or damage.

Not sure how realistic it is to modify your coop to make it larger, given the style, unless you're planning on blowing out a wall or something? A 2nd coop may or may not work out - in some cases the birds will ignore one coop and all stuff into the other, whereas in other cases they will split up and use both. Hard to say what will happen if you try it with your flock.

Looks much better in terms of breaking up the space.

As far as the peepers, you can leave them on for a while as far as I know, as long as you check them regularly for any caused irritation or damage.

Not sure how realistic it is to modify your coop to make it larger, given the style, unless you're planning on blowing out a wall or something? A 2nd coop may or may not work out - in some cases the birds will ignore one coop and all stuff into the other, whereas in other cases they will split up and use both. Hard to say what will happen if you try it with your flock.
Thanks! Good to know. Yeah it might be tricky to modify. I'd hate to buy a whole other coop only to find out they don't use it though. I may just have to save up for a new, bigger coop. :/

Or you could cull Violet. Give her to someone else. Not all birds will work together in a flock in a particular set up. Sometimes you get a bird that just does not fit.

Personally, I would leave the peepers in. A little sore nose is nothing compared to the damage on the other hen.

Mrs K
Good to know. I got these girls mostly as pets so I'm not really considering getting rid of any of them. But for argument's sake, let's say I did decide to get rid of somebody. Both Violet and Pumpkin get their feathers plucked, although Violet's situation is worse because she's getting teamed up on by both Pumpkin and Peach whereas Pumpkin only gets picked on by Peach. The hierarchy goes Peach > Pumpkin > Violet. Peach has full, beautiful feathers. The other two are starting to look pretty mangey. Would it be better to get rid of Violet or Peach? Or Violet and Pumpkin? I truly never thought having a few hens would be this stressful. :(

Sometimes in very small flocks, you will have birds that just do not get along. Sometimes you can make it work, and sometimes you can't. Birds, as you are finding out, can have some really rotten behaviors.

Personally, I would keep Peach with the peepers on and Pumpkin. I don't think Violet is ever going to work with those two birds. Then I think give it some time, and the feather picking should quit (fingers crossed).

I know they are your pets, but being plucked to the point of blood is not a great life either. I wish I could tell you -'do this and they will be BFF' but that does not work.

Thing is, in that space, I think you could have 3 chickens...just not those three chickens. I have heard that the lavender orpington are more apt to be picked on.

Mrs K

IMG_20220602_181340791_HDR.jpg

I went ahead and built a separate area for Violet. They can still somewhat interact through the fence, but at least they can't get at her now. I'll keep her in there at least until her feathers grow back and see how it goes. If I need to buy a separate little coop and keep her in there forever then I guess that's what I'll do, so long as that's not considered cruel from a social perspective.

Back
Top Bottom