Hen Bullying and Feather Plucking

AverageJess

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Just want to start off saying that there's a lot going on here and I don't feel particularly articulate today, so hopefully it all makes sense. Let me know if any clarification is needed.

We have 3 hens total (2 Orps and 1 Cinnamon Queen) and unfortunately the Buff and the Queen bully the Lavender (named Violet). A few months ago we had a situation where the two bullies ended up pulling out a bunch of Violet's feathers and actually bit her skin to the point of a big open wound forming. We ended up taking her to the vet, separated her, and everything eventually healed up just fine with meds and her feathers grew back. Well, a few weeks ago they plucked a bunch of feathers/ate a bunch of feathers in the same spot again (just below her vent), although luckily this time no wound. I've been separating Violet again so they don't have any opportunity to bite her raw like the first time. Keep in mind that the separate pen is INSIDE the run, so they can still all see each other. I also started giving them some wet cat food for extra protein since I heard that could help with the feather plucking. We let Violet out of the small pen occasionally to run around and stretch her legs with the other girls.

The whole separating thing seemed to be working just fine until it became apparent that it was making the bullying worse, where when I would let her out to run around, the other two would relentlessly peck and chase her. Also, it really seemed like Violet was upset about being shut in the pen all day/being bullied, because she actually started bullying me (posturing, chasing, biting me), which was distressing because she normally is super sweet and loves cuddles from me.

Due to the worsened bullying and Violet's unhappiness, I decided to start alternating who gets quarantined. So Violet will be in there for a few hours, then I'll let her out and put one of the other two in there for a couple hours and so forth. They all seem a lot happier and the bullying is kinda back to normal, so I think alternating helps. However, obviously this isn't ideal because it means that the other hen can still peck at Violet's bald spot when it's her turn to be in the run, and I actually know they are because sometimes I'll see a bit of blood on the tips of her feather sprouts or see some completely shorn off. Due to this, it's taking forever for her feathers to grow back compared to last time. At this point it just seems like a never ending vicious cycle and I'm feeling very stressed and hopeless. :'[ Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

TL;DR On one hand I want Violet's feathers to completely grow back so I don't have to worry about the bullies pecking her bare skin, so quarantining her seems like a good idea. On the other hand, I really don't want to keep her separated at all times, because it makes her upset and makes the bullying much worse.

P.S. I've read that making my flock a bit larger could potentially help "spread out" the bullying to other hens. I was considering getting a couple more hens at some point anyway, but I know it can be kind of tricky to add new flock members without issues. Thoughts?

Would also help to see photos of your set up, along with coop and run measurements. Boredom (lack of enrichment), resource issues (only 1 feeder, stress from confinement) can also be contributing factors to bullying issues.

Adding more birds to this situation could just end up with a lot more bullying victims, it's impossible to say at this point.

Pinless peepers can help but I would use them as last resort, if other attempts at fixing the issue are unsuccessful.

This is what I had on hand, but I'll keep my eye out for more stuff and add to my clutter collection. I think my in laws will have some good stuff for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_093819928.jpg
    IMG_20220305_093819928.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 10
Would also help to see photos of your set up, along with coop and run measurements. Boredom (lack of enrichment), resource issues (only 1 feeder, stress from confinement) can also be contributing factors to bullying issues.

Adding more birds to this situation could just end up with a lot more bullying victims, it's impossible to say at this point.

Pinless peepers can help but I would use them as last resort, if other attempts at fixing the issue are unsuccessful.
Ditto Dat!

Try adding some stuff to break up line of sight. Plywood, logs, lawn deco. Anything, it really doesn't matter what.

This is my run from before the new coop was finished. There is no place inside it where I could stand and see everything and it was even more broken up from chicken height.

0902210823_HDR.jpg

Update: I've added a lot more clutter to the run and I think it's coming along nicely. Also added another feeder and waterer on opposite ends of the run as well as a larger dirt/dust bath area. Unfortunately they still pluck Violet's butt feathers every time they start sprouting back so her giant bald spot persists. Honestly I'm kinda terrified to take Peach's peepers off because she may go ham on Violet's bald spot again and cause another gory injury. I'd love for her feathers to grow back in so I'll feel comfortable enough to try taking the peepers off. I hate leaving them on so long. Any opinions or suggestions?

They haven't been shut in the coop at night for a long while now that we're having warmer weather, so I don't think coop size is currently an issue, though I'm still brainstorming what to do for next fall/winter. Would it be a bad idea to get another small coop and just have two separate coops? Or is modifying my current coop the best option?
IMG_20220519_152202575_HDR.jpg

Sometimes in very small flocks, you will have birds that just do not get along. Sometimes you can make it work, and sometimes you can't. Birds, as you are finding out, can have some really rotten behaviors.

Personally, I would keep Peach with the peepers on and Pumpkin. I don't think Violet is ever going to work with those two birds. Then I think give it some time, and the feather picking should quit (fingers crossed).

I know they are your pets, but being plucked to the point of blood is not a great life either. I wish I could tell you -'do this and they will be BFF' but that does not work.

Thing is, in that space, I think you could have 3 chickens...just not those three chickens. I have heard that the lavender orpington are more apt to be picked on.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom