Hen Bullying and Feather Plucking

AverageJess

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Just want to start off saying that there's a lot going on here and I don't feel particularly articulate today, so hopefully it all makes sense. Let me know if any clarification is needed.

We have 3 hens total (2 Orps and 1 Cinnamon Queen) and unfortunately the Buff and the Queen bully the Lavender (named Violet). A few months ago we had a situation where the two bullies ended up pulling out a bunch of Violet's feathers and actually bit her skin to the point of a big open wound forming. We ended up taking her to the vet, separated her, and everything eventually healed up just fine with meds and her feathers grew back. Well, a few weeks ago they plucked a bunch of feathers/ate a bunch of feathers in the same spot again (just below her vent), although luckily this time no wound. I've been separating Violet again so they don't have any opportunity to bite her raw like the first time. Keep in mind that the separate pen is INSIDE the run, so they can still all see each other. I also started giving them some wet cat food for extra protein since I heard that could help with the feather plucking. We let Violet out of the small pen occasionally to run around and stretch her legs with the other girls.

The whole separating thing seemed to be working just fine until it became apparent that it was making the bullying worse, where when I would let her out to run around, the other two would relentlessly peck and chase her. Also, it really seemed like Violet was upset about being shut in the pen all day/being bullied, because she actually started bullying me (posturing, chasing, biting me), which was distressing because she normally is super sweet and loves cuddles from me.

Due to the worsened bullying and Violet's unhappiness, I decided to start alternating who gets quarantined. So Violet will be in there for a few hours, then I'll let her out and put one of the other two in there for a couple hours and so forth. They all seem a lot happier and the bullying is kinda back to normal, so I think alternating helps. However, obviously this isn't ideal because it means that the other hen can still peck at Violet's bald spot when it's her turn to be in the run, and I actually know they are because sometimes I'll see a bit of blood on the tips of her feather sprouts or see some completely shorn off. Due to this, it's taking forever for her feathers to grow back compared to last time. At this point it just seems like a never ending vicious cycle and I'm feeling very stressed and hopeless. :'[ Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

TL;DR On one hand I want Violet's feathers to completely grow back so I don't have to worry about the bullies pecking her bare skin, so quarantining her seems like a good idea. On the other hand, I really don't want to keep her separated at all times, because it makes her upset and makes the bullying much worse.

P.S. I've read that making my flock a bit larger could potentially help "spread out" the bullying to other hens. I was considering getting a couple more hens at some point anyway, but I know it can be kind of tricky to add new flock members without issues. Thoughts?

Would also help to see photos of your set up, along with coop and run measurements. Boredom (lack of enrichment), resource issues (only 1 feeder, stress from confinement) can also be contributing factors to bullying issues.

Adding more birds to this situation could just end up with a lot more bullying victims, it's impossible to say at this point.

Pinless peepers can help but I would use them as last resort, if other attempts at fixing the issue are unsuccessful.

Would also help to see photos of your set up, along with coop and run measurements. Boredom (lack of enrichment), resource issues (only 1 feeder, stress from confinement) can also be contributing factors to bullying issues.

Adding more birds to this situation could just end up with a lot more bullying victims, it's impossible to say at this point.

Pinless peepers can help but I would use them as last resort, if other attempts at fixing the issue are unsuccessful.
Ditto Dat!

Welcome to BYC.

First question, how much space is there in the coop and in the run?

While crowding does not necessarily *cause* bullying, it is very often at least a major contributing factor when bullying occurs.

The Usual Guidelines
For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
@rosemarythyme's info about the quality of the space is important too.

Please do give us photos and dimensions of your coop and run so that we can help you set up for long-term success. :)

Sorry for the late reply, everyone! The run is located underneath a second story deck and is about 14' x 18' 5". Our coop is a really small cheap one I got from Amazon and is only about 3' 5" x 2' 2" (not including the nesting box, which is about 2' x 1'). So according to @3KillerBs measurements, it seems that the coop is much too small. *sigh* I did a bunch of research before buying the coop and determined that I would only need at least 2 square feet per chicken in the coop, but in hindsight maybe my sources were not trustworthy...

There are two roost bars (each about 2') in the coop and an additional roost in the run (~4') that they sleep on during the warmer months. The little "quarantine pen" in the back corner is about 3' 5" x 5' and is only used for temporary separation. I've got a few chicken toys, a dust bath barrel, give them a variety of treats, and let them out into the yard for a while at least once per day.

Any additional advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated. I want to do everything I can to make these birds happy and comfortable and their unhappiness is causing me a lot of emotional distress.

P.S. I did end up using pinless peepers on one of my girls, but we'll be taking it off this weekend (it will have been on for 2 weeks at that point). I'm not really sure I'll be using them any more in the future as it was pretty stressful to put on her and caused some nose bleeding. :'(

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_142532515_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220303_142532515_HDR.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220303_142540692_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220303_142540692_HDR.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220303_142543535_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220303_142543535_HDR.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220303_142554899_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220303_142554899_HDR.jpg