Hen can not walk could cage be the problem

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
Hello, I have a 2 year old Turken Hen. Last year I noticed she stayed in a corner and would not move. She had lost a lot of feathers and was a little prolapsed. So I have kept her confined for at least 6 months trying to treat her for all of this but nothing seems to help.

I have been thinking about breaking the problems down and treating them one at a time, rather than as one issue. So I was wondering could her not being able to walk be because of her inactivity. She has been in a dog crate for 6 months. If initally she was having a hard molt but because I decided to isolate her so she would not be picked on could he not walking be because of the confinement. If you pick her up and put her down she will stand, she may even take a step or 2 but to get anywhere fast she flaps her wings. She eats good, drinks good, poop looks good. I have given pen G shots, vitamins in water , wormer, increased protein by adding 1 tsp of cooked hamburger to her diet. She still does not have feathers but I am working on her legs. Could it be from being in the cage, if so give me an idea, I cannot put her in with the rest of the girls because of the boys.

HELP
barnie.gif

I would think that, yes, being in a cage for 6 months would make it so she couldn't walk. She needs to be out where she can move and be active like a hen should be.

Keeping her isolated for so long will make it very difficult to get her back into the flock. I had a hen out for 5 days and it was difficult getting her back into her flock (which only consisted of 13 other pullets).

It's a great sign that she is eating, drinking, and pooping well.

Hi, I actually had her in an emply hen house for a month or so but she would not move around so I wanted to get her closer to my house so that I could try and treat her other issues. I will probably have to make her walk for a while since she won't do it herself except to flap her wings. I thought maybe she had a bad back, put she can stand if I insist so thats why I was trying to come up with another reason. Well I am going to start working with her and hopefully I will see some improvement. Thanks for your thoughts Terri

Anyone know how to make a chicken walk if it does not want to. I put her out in the yard and she laid there, I pulled her upright and made her walk which she did fine. I was thinking what about water therepy, if I hold her in the water do chickens paddle. I know I need to get her moving to see if she can be helped. She has not laid an egg for 4 months but maybe if I can get her moving and out in the grass that will change. If you have any ideas on making a chicken exercise I would be glad to hear it. Thanks Terri

Miss Lydia, I was thinking the same thing. I told my roommate this morning that I wanted to get a whirlpool for her. It probably would soothe her prolapse in the process. I am trying to find a small tub, I think I will steel my horses feed tub just clean it out good. Maybe put some epsom salts in it and i can message her upper leg while supporting her. If it isnt storming tonight when i get home i will do it tonight. I will let you know how that goes. Terri

What about throwing her favorite treats out of reach? Maybe stand her up and give her a gentle push toward them. Bet if she is able she will try!

Back
Top Bottom