Hen can't get up - not sure if it is an injury or a disease

dadecitybeth

Hatching
9 Years
May 15, 2010
I have a small flock 5 hens and 1 rooster. 1 of my hens who is new to laying and who I have only had about 1 1/2 months (she was given to me in a trade) is a Plymoth Bared Rock Large Fowl but definitely Utility. She had a broken toe when I got her. About a week ago she started limping on her broken toe side (right) and it got worse by night fall so I put her in a cage near the house and away from the others as I thought she injured it coming off her roost. She seemed to get a bit worse and then a bit better over the next 4 days and now she is defintely worse. She can hardly move. She looks fine - eyes bright. I have felt all her extremeties - no swelling - no leisions. She is eating and drinking and laying every day(should we eat these eggs?). I am begininng to think Mareks but she is not following the symptoms I read online. What is the timeline for this disease - if that is what it is? My husband wants to put her out of her misery, but I want to give her more time. I NEED HELP!!!! She is not just a chicken......you know what I mean!

I hope the best for your little guy. I have a 6 week old barred rock an she started limping 2 weeks or longer ago and now she cant hold herself up very good. I thought it was a broken foot then Mareks and now I need to see what bumbefoot it. I have had her separated from her brothers and sisters for over two weeks trying to nurse her back to health. Your story sounds like mine. She looks good and eats good and it just her leg or legs that cant support her.

I just gave her a thorogh exam. Her right foot that had the broken toe does seem a bit calloused, but not lesions. Her left foot is soft and supple. Not sure Bumblefoot is the cause of her problem. BUT she has lost almost all of her feathers on her breast and her right leg. When I was examining her (and I was careful) she got a bit anxious when I touched her in the lower right abdomen. I am beginning to fear the worst. She is still eating and driniking and I am taking her "treats" - I gave her some greens from the garden and she loved it along with her crumbles. She stays in a down position all the time but can hold her head up and her eyes are still bright. Perhaps I can get some antibiotics at the feed store?.....do they sell them? Any advise is most appreciated!

The abdomen makes me wonder if there is any chance that she is egg bound or something has gone awry in there. But I dont think feather loss is a symptom of that. *perplexed*

Poor thing.

You can get antibiotics at your feed store. Be sure to give her some plain yogurt to rebuild the good bacteria in the gut.
You can also try some ACV in her water.

Keep us posted.

ACV - is that extra vitamins? I added that this morning to her bottle and to the water that I hand feed her (she was a little confused by the taste but accepted it anyway). Meanwhile I completely cleaned out the coop - washed everything down (no chemicals)- threw out all the old hay to the burn pile, etc. It is spic and span - probably won't have eggs from the ladies for a week, but better safe than sorry. Had been giving yoghurt mixed with grated carrots or apple and crumbles to the sick one based on a recommendation I saw on an old post for a broken leg. Her poop is normal so I know that is a good sign. I just hate to have to take her to the vet as I know it will cost an arm and a leg and he/she will probably give out the same advise I read on this wonderful site so I am hoping with some paitence and some TLC and hopefully a diagnosis she will get back to normal. Will keep you posted.

Well she isnt egg bound then
smile.png

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. Its a great natural 'boost' for them

You are doing everything right!

Back
Top Bottom