Hen choking?

Jasper_899

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Alaska
My older Buff Orpington hen hasn't been herself lately. She stays in the coop, stopped laying (But I figured she would soon since shes 5 years old and was an awesome layer for 4 years) She doesn't come running up to me like she used to after school and wont listen to the rooster's dinner calls. And she has stopped free ranging and seems to be doing a lot of squatting and just standing still, maybe there's an eggs stuck or something?
And yesterday I picked her up and she was breathing quite heavily and had her mouth open and wasn't clucking or making noise and when she did it was a kind of high pitched noise. She seems kind of depressed too
sad.png

I really hope she isn't choking on something I don't think I could afford a vet bill for an old Hen, but shes special to me because shes the only chicken that survived our 60 below temperature last winter.
hmm.png

Anyone know what could be wrong?
Thanks.

Does she have any other symtoms? Is her crop engorged? Is she vomiting? What's her poop like? Is she pooping? Are there any wounds? Who's her vent? Does it look normal?

Any other info could help.

Quote:
Hes an Ameraucana cross or sometimes referred to as an "EE"
I'm not sure though someone wanted to eat him and I wouldn't let them so they just let me have him.

Quote:
Her crop seemed fine, no vomiting and at first she wasn't pooping, so I put her in the kennel for 2 nights to keep a better eye on her because she wasn't eating. But after those two nights I noticed she ate a little and her poop looked normal. So today I let her out and she followed the flock around and even ate. And when I called them all for treats she even ran a few steps with the others and ate a couple pieces of bread and she free-ranged today I hope shes getting better. She even looks happier too.

She doesn't seem to have any wounds, but her abdomen seems really hard and not soft like it usually is, and since she hasn't been laying her vent has shrunken and her comb is starting to flop over slightly
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom