Hen crowing for attention

DianeB

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 12, 2009
My 5 year old hen has taken up crowing to get my attention. Every morning or whenever she feels ignored she gets up on a high spot and belts it out. She doesn't stop until I come out and spend time with her. Sometimes, I'm busy and give her treats just to shut her up. So, I am part of the problem.

I doubt it is for attention.
Older hens tend to take on the role of a rooster. It often happens when the one functioning ovary quits working and they get lots of male hormones. Their feathers sometimes change too.
Is she still laying eggs?

She's still laying. I've had other hens crow for years while still actively laying. It seems like when they figure out they can crow and it gets them attention they do it all the time.

She also still looks and acts like a hen, except for the crowing.

She's still laying. I've had other hens crow for years while still actively laying. It seems like when they figure out they can crow and it gets them attention they do it all the time.

I get that feeling from roosters too. They all start crowing about 5 or 6. Then they calm down. But if they see me opening some coops but not theirs, they start raising Cain.

My 5 year old hen has taken up crowing to get my attention. Every morning or whenever she feels ignored she gets up on a high spot and belts it out. She doesn't stop until I come out and spend time with her. Sometimes, I'm busy and give her treats just to shut her up. So, I am part of the problem.
Yep, sounds like she's got you well trained!
gig.gif

Does she sound just like a rooster or sound very awful! I've heard a duck crow before. Sounds odd but it did happen! Sounded AWFUL!

Does she sound just like a rooster or sound very awful! I've heard a duck crow before. Sounds odd but it did happen! Sounded AWFUL!

It's not quite a full crow, but still load. I've been trying to keep her calm and content to stop it. Don't want anyone complaining.

Back
Top Bottom