hen crowing! would isolation help?

Soleil_A

Songster
Oct 24, 2017
White lake, Michigan. (Or detroit)
hi everyone!

I have very small flock, consisting of one Rhode Island white, one Isa brown, one English bantam, and one Seabright. They are all females, as they have all laid an egg before. My two bigger hens aren’t laying right now, but the two bantams are laying consistently. However, my Sebright bantam is going through a gender identity issue:lau

my seabright Bantam is crowing! I live in a neighborhood where chickens aren’t allowed, but my chickens have always been quiet so there hasn’t been an issue, and there’s also been some egg bribing. I love my Sebright Bantam and it would be very hard to get rid of her. I was doing a little bit of reading, would isolation work? I could keep her in my garage for a week or two and see what happens? please help me as I don’t want to get rid of her! Ive read just spring hormones but I need to do something about it in the meantime.

Isolation might help, but gee, a girl has to crow when a girl feels she must. It would be like punishing a young woman for feeling the need to sing!

Seriously, a hen crowing isn't that unusual. I've had three that have been crowing hens, a couple doing it so proficiently, it would be hard to tell a rooster didn't do it.

Yes, it's noisy, but hens tend not to have the volume and projection that a rooster has, so the noise doesn't carry nearly as far. They also tend not to do it all day long as a rooster often does.

You probably aren't going to have any neighbor complaints over it because you're the only one who can hear it. To the neighbors, it's just a bit more hen chatter.

Get ready with an egg bribe if a neighbor does mention it, though.

Back
Top Bottom