Hen drinking a lot of water and puking?

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
One of our faverolles (who's having a world of problems thrown at her, poor girl) drinks a lot. I've tried to stop this by placing a tub we have outside of the run (we put it in there when temperatures were reaching 90-100°F, but now its winter so there's really no use for it.) There is a bucked of water in their coop which they are able to use. She doesn't drink from the bucket as often as she would drink from the tub, though. Every time we let them out into the backyard (which is where the tub is), I look over and she's always at the tub drinking water for long periods of time. Then, when she finally leaves the tub and joins the rest of the flock, a few minutes later she'll vomit what I suspect to be water back up. Is there any explanation for this? Does she need medical care?

Nope, when they get greedy and chug too much water they ralph. It's worrisome, a bit gross but it's normal.
Hahaha!! Funny way to put it, but so true!

a few minutes later she'll vomit what I suspect to be water back up. Is there any explanation for this? Does she need medical care?
Has she always done this or is it new?
Does she have trouble accessing the bucket in the coop?
Is she low hen, maybe kept away from water?
Does she otherwise act normally.....eat, drink, poop, lay, move around OK?
Have you ever given a dose of electrolytes when it's really hot out?
I give dose a week when it's above 85F, seems to help a lot.

Hahaha!! Funny way to put it, but so true!

Has she always done this or is it new?
Does she have trouble accessing the bucket in the coop?
Is she low hen, maybe kept away from water?
Does she otherwise act normally.....eat, drink, poop, lay, move around OK?
Have you ever given a dose of electrolytes when it's really hot out?
I give dose a week when it's above 85F, seems to help a lot.
She is a pretty low hen and this whole drinking and puking has been going on for a while. She can get to the bucket just fine (in fact, she's using it as I type this) and everything else she does is normal.

She is a pretty low hen and this whole drinking and puking has been going on for a while. She can get to the bucket just fine (in fact, she's using it as I type this) and everything else she does is normal.
Hard to say exactly why she is doing it, have had a couple who did it quite often.
As long as she's otherwise OK, I'd not worry about it too much.

I've had a few of mine do it also. Not pleasant to see!!! Along with that some have loose poop,...not sure if caused by same thing.".Disgusting"....to see all the time. I de-wormed them, it seemed to get better but not for a longtime. Now I see them guzzle water and I think it's "cute"
Not to change subject....but
Someone, please help me with "poop" problem.

Ok , don't know if this will work for you but it's worth a try. When my girls get the loose booty i give them chopped up boiled eggs at supper for a couple of days. It seems to help solidify the poops. :)
I've had a few of mine do it also. Not pleasant to see!!! Along with that some have loose poop,...not sure if caused by same thing.".Disgusting"....to see all the time. I de-wormed them, it seemed to get better but not for a longtime. Now I see them guzzle water and I think it's "cute"

Best to start a new thread with more details.....
like exactly what and how you are feeding,
your location(climate can be important),
how many birds and how old,
how long the problem has existed, etc..

Back
Top Bottom