Hen drinking excessively, not eating

Yes it does! Is there anything that can be done to help get it out?
Yes, it does smell or yes, it does have air in it:)
Is she pooping - what does that look like?
Photos are always welcome.
If her breath smells yeasty then she has a sour crop. Usually there is an underlying cause, impaction somewhere lower, coccidiosis, worms, infection and reproductive problems are a few.

It would be good to try to get a little water into her. I usually also start by giving 1 teaspoon coconut oil as well. Refrigerate/freeze the oil so it's solid, then chop it into bite size pieces. My girls love coconut oil, so they will just gobble that right up. Massage the crop several times a day to see if you can get the crop moving and help push some of the air out. She does need access to water. She can also have a little bit of wet feed later in the day once you have massaged the crop.

The following article gives good information. You may need to treat with a yeast medication as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you all for your help and support. Unfortunately, Stella did not wake up this morning. We are attempting to send her to the State Vet for necropsy to determine cause of death, but we (well, my dad) will have to wait till Monday to send her. I will update you all when we get the results back.

Thank you all for your help and support. Unfortunately, Stella did not wake up this morning. We are attempting to send her to the State Vet for necropsy to determine cause of death, but we (well, my dad) will have to wait till Monday to send her. I will update you all when we get the results back.
I'm very sorry to hear about Stella:hugs

It's good that you will be sending the body in so you can get some answers.
Please let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom