Hen flew out & abandoned eggs :(

allie8302

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
So last Tuesday (the 14th) I had a hen go broody (thanks to you all here I figured out what she was doing). I decided that since I had a friend with a rooster I would get some fertilized eggs. She sat on them no problem till Sunday (the 27th) when we decided to move her, I made her her own space on the other side of the pen, made a little house and put the eggs in it.

She proceeded to freak out and refuse to go in the house. I'm really not sure if she sat on the eggs or not, but its been really hot here (90 today) so I candled the eggs last night and it does look like there was something in there living or was living.

Today I went out there and she had hoped the fence and rejoined her friends. I have two of the same hen and I can't tell which one was the broody one, and she is not going crazy fluffing up when I come around like before. I'm really not sure what to do, I feel bad if there are babies in those eggs, I don't want to just abandon them, but I don't have an incubator and am not interested all that, and complicating things even more, we will be on vacation when these babies are/would be ready to hatch. The hen has not laid an egg in several days, maybe since this all began. Any thoughts are much appreciated :) Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom