Hen flogging me?

Seed223

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
Central Kentucky
Has anyone had a hen flog them before? We have a 5 month old EE who (I think) just flogged me. There was some arguing in the coop so I opened the door to see what was going on. She stared at me while she was on the floor, then she jumped up on to the roosting bar, let out a squawk and then flew right at my head and out of the coop. She’s flighty but hasn’t ever been aggressive before.

When I was growing up we had a Rhode Island Red that would sit in the first nest box at the door, as soon as I open the door she would jump at me and out the door, hate rhode island reds especially the roosters.

When I was growing up we had a Rhode Island Red that would sit in the first nest box at the door, as soon as I open the door she would jump at me and out the door, hate rhode island reds especially the roosters.
Did you guys end up keeping her? We have 3 younger kids and I’m not feeling so great about what just happened.... 😬

hate rhode island reds
Awe, I Love mine! They have the most personality of all the breeds I’ve had and seen to be the smartest of my flock too!
As for the bird flying at your head- how big of an opening is the door? Was she just trying to get out and your head was in the way - because chicken flight is less than graceful? Did she come at you with her feet forward like how a rooster will attack? I would give her the benefit of the doubt but definitely watch for continuous problem behaviors and rehome as needed.

Awe, I Love mine! They have the most personality of all the breeds I’ve had and seen to be the smartest of my flock too!
As for the bird flying at your head- how big of an opening is the door? Was she just trying to get out and your head was in the way - because chicken flight is less than graceful? Did she come at you with her feet forward like how a rooster will attack? I would give her the benefit of the doubt but definitely watch for continuous problem behaviors and rehome as needed.
That’s a good point - the door opening isn’t really all that big and the others weren’t exactly being nice to her. Maybe she was just trying to get out! Thanks for the perspective 😊. She’s our only EE and I’ve really been looking forward to her eggs!

One of my 18 week old EE pullets jumped and clawed my calf earlier this week. It was, I feel, a misunderstanding. I was moving the group she's a part of, and they were all moving forward except her because she didn't see me coming up. She was startled and I think was trying to defend herself as she jumped toward me. We made eye contact, I gave her a nudge with my foot and a loud "Hey!" and she bagawked at me, then quickly followed the rest of the group. I think it was my own fault. I should have made my intent more obvious. I haven't had any issues with her since.

One of my 18 week old EE pullets jumped and clawed my calf earlier this week. It was, I feel, a misunderstanding. I was moving the group she's a part of, and they were all moving forward except her because she didn't see me coming up. She was startled and I think was trying to defend herself as she jumped toward me. We made eye contact, I gave her a nudge with my foot and a loud "Hey!" and she bagawked at me, then quickly followed the rest of the group. I think it was my own fault. I should have made my intent more obvious. I haven't had any issues with her since.

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Ohioan! :)

Back
Top Bottom