Hen Getting Ready to Lay??

@aart That's Meringue, it's the picture but I've noticed the comb isn't as RED as the Wynadottes I had. This batch had a rough start, horrible condition when I got them end of May. Waiting on the other 3, they're reddening but no squat & think the pelvic bone check is the "final" sign to watch. Thank you BYC members for all this information :)

Last edited:
@Crooked Chicken Think her tail is down cause she's balancing. She is the sweetest of all & friendliest. As I replied to aart they weren't in the best condition when I got them, should have walked away but had to "rescue" them. Here's a picture of them I took on Monday....

Attachments

• DSC04068.JPG
    DSC04068.JPG
    629 KB · Views: 19
@aart That's Meringue, it's the picture but I've noticed the comb isn't as RED as the Wynadottes I had. This batch had a rough start, horrible condition when I got them end of May. Waiting on the other 3, they're reddening but no squat & think the pelvic bone check is the "final" sign to watch. Thank you BYC members for all this information :)

My 2 BO took longer for their combs and wattles to turn red than everyone else, but are both bright red now.

@Crooked Chicken Think her tail is down cause she's balancing. She is the sweetest of all & friendliest. As I replied to aart they weren't in the best condition when I got them, should have walked away but had to "rescue" them. Here's a picture of them I took on Monday....

Yes, I have heard that about the BO. When I went to pick out chicks, there was an old man there telling me how he and his wife loved them so much that they never had a thought of getting any other breed. Mine have been pretty friendly, but have a tendency to pick at any scratch or scab I have, lol. I'm already a bloody mess.

The past several days many of the girls are humming and singing, and inspecting/testing nest boxes so I think the time will soon be here. My 2 Barred Rocks never did much of a squat, but the one EE girl sure does. The other EE isn't laying yet.

My 4 pullets aren't laying yet either, although they are 5, 4 and 3 months old, fully fledged etc. The oldest is well overdo to start, but she's not. Just growing in her comb and wattles, everything is still real small, so hens must not lay until that stuff is grown in I assume. All they think life is is playing all day, no responsibilities whatsoever LOL

My 4 pullets aren't laying yet either, although they are 5, 4 and 3 months old, fully fledged etc. The oldest is well overdo to start, but she's not. Just growing in her comb and wattles, everything is still real small, so hens must not lay until that stuff is grown in I assume. All they think life is is playing all day, no responsibilities whatsoever LOL
None of those are due to lay......except maybe the 5 month old, if she's 20 weeks and depending on breed.

I got some hens yesterday! They are around a year old and got their nest ready before they laid (which they laid the first egg today). I also put 2 golf balls in each nesting box to clue them where to lay.

I got some hens yesterday! They are around a year old and got their nest ready before they laid (which they laid the first egg today). I also put 2 golf balls in each nesting box to clue them where to lay.
Great! Keep in mind that the egg laid the first day at their new home was in process before you brought them home(it takes about 25 hours for an egg to form and be laid) they may not lay again for a week or so due to moving stress.

Okay. So, y'all, I stink with technology and wanted to start a new thread but can't figure it out. Can the great peeps who've been on this thread I started plz help me? Am going to upload a pic in a second. One of my RIR's had a couple of hardish, black spots on her comb. Other than thaT she seems perfectly healthy. No change in behavior. She is eating, drinking, running around and foraging as usual. The lady I got her from said it may be "pox????!!!" I have no idea what that is or what I need to do if anything. I also want to make sure her eggs are still okay to eat. Can any of u guys help me with this??????

Back
Top Bottom