Hen going crazy (chasing, plucking feathers, fighting)

chickenfever417

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Nixa Mo
My Coop
My Coop
So we have 4 Chickens, one of our hens (Red sex link) has just began to chase, pluck feathers, fight 2 other hens. Her comb and woddles have become red in the past 2 weeks. I suspect she will be laying soon. Is this normal behavior? Will this behavior stop? She seems to have just gone MAD!!!! I feel so bad for my White Wyandotte that has gotten most of her fury. Ripping feathers out etc. It has never been a problem before the last few days and today being the worst.

They have a 3x4 hen house, and 42 square foot run (3x14)

They do not free range, they trail mix grass and clover we grow for them. Lots of treats, veggies etc.

It is so sad to watch her chase and fight

Greetings from Kansas, chickenfever, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry to hear about your bossy hen. Not sure if she just about to lay and that has made crabby or it is must a pecking order thing. You might post in the link below for more specialized advice. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

welcome-byc.gif
I think meany needs a couple days in the time out box, so she can reflect on her bad behavior. I'm not kidding, removing her from the flock for a couple(more if necessary) makes her the "new" chick and may take her down a peg or two. The others will have happily learned to get along without her and may peck at her when she comes back.

Back
Top Bottom