Hen has cloudy eye! Any suggestions?

We have the same problem in a hen my husband purchased! One eye is cloudy and swollen. No parasite found. Is your hen still ok? I'm sorry - I am new at this and I notice this was from a long time ago. I am hoping my Barred Rock will be fine. Someone told me to euthinize her and I am seriously beside myself with stress.

We have the same problem in a hen my husband purchased! One eye is cloudy and swollen. No parasite found. Is your hen still ok? I'm sorry - I am new at this and I notice this was from a long time ago. I am hoping my Barred Rock will be fine. Someone told me to euthinize her and I am seriously beside myself with stress.

Hi! She survived it and lasted the longest of all my RIR's! She ended up being blind in that eye but she got around fairly well. Occasionally I would have to separate her from a bossy hen, but she did great. She finally succumbed to illness this fall, but she did great for a long long time! Hope yours ends up doing well too!

I also have a hen with one REALLY cloudy pupil. It's basically just gray. She is molting AND has just finished being broody after months of sitting in the coop with no sunlight or water (her choice, of course. I tried to get her to stop but she wouldn't) and now her eye is cloudy. She can still see out of it though, and she's acting normal. Could this be deadly to my bird?

A white spot or cloudy look to the pupil may be a cataract, which is often the result of avian encephalomyelitis infection as a chick, vitamin A deficiency, old age, or genetics.

Back
Top Bottom